Deep coins with the Etrac??

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think depth is either sometimes exaggerated or some folks arent very good at guessing depth. Here in Ohio I have found very few old coins over 6 inches but it just depends on where you are at. I hunt an old school where wheats and silver are 6 or more inches, its nothing to dig a wheat or Indian at 8 inches. I have hunted a farm this year where I have found several silvers including a seated and 1825 L.C. and the L.C. was the deepest at 6 inches, the seated was maybe 4 inches and the 1864 Indian head was about 3 inches.

In my opinion, at least here in my part of Ohio I dont think coins are much deeper than say 6 inches on average but I have hit a few deeper ones and the E-trac had no problem finding them in a stock program running auto sensitivity at least up to 8 inches.

Indians - here in Ohio running in basically the stock coin program, I find the FE number is pretty erratic on most of my indians, it might go from 12 to 1 to 2,3... 5, 6 BUT my conductive number will stay consistant and even at depth they sound good so I dont worry about the FE numbers to much but USUALLY if my FE number stays on 1 and doesnt jump it turns out to be junk. The FE number will usually jump back to 12 or at least off of 1.

When hunting in discriminate mode and you come across a questionable signal that your not sure if it is silver or deep iron, hit your quick mask and dont have anything discriminated out, have the whole screen opened up. If your crosshairs jump in the bottom right hand corner it is iron... If it jumps from midway down the screen back up to top right hand corner it is likely a coin BUT I have found many coins at good depth including a 8 inch barber dime that the FE only jumped a few numbers, usually the FE will stay very close to 12.

I hope this helps, I am no expert but have found this to help me, hope it helps you!

Very good post buckeye, lots of people do exaggerate but 10" is possible just not always probable

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy

You keep hitting the nail on the head... The PI's are the deep seekers... But... It's all about the soil, air pressure, roots, rocks, and many more factors that contribute to how deep any detector will achive a signal. The PI's are in a class by themslves, the only thing, you will be digging a lot of junk, but the goodies off set that...LOL.

Philo NY

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using a Fisher F75 Standard for 3 years, next month. Recently, I have been giving some consideration to the E-trac as I thought it might give me a shot at some deeper coins and other 'valuables.' From what I have gleaned from this thread, however, leads me to think that I am just as well off with my F75. Most of my coin finds have come from the surface to about 5 inches. I have dug a 12" quarter and a 9" dime.....measured with my digging knife. The deepest signal I have uncovered rang in as a quarter and ended up being the bottom from a poultry feeder (looked like a metal sombrero about 6" in diameter) at approximately 2 feet deep. I dug as deep as I could get with my knife and came back the next day with a sharpshooter.....I was on a quest at that time. Admittedly, the signal was pretty weak, but, consistent......that is why I dug it.

The F75 has given me 3 years of productive fun and, now, after reading this thread, I think I will save my $1500 and keep on keeping on. A big "thank you" to the person that started this thread and all those that contributed.....it has been very enlightening for me.

HobbyMan

Sep 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, XP DEUS, Golden Mask 4 Pro, Teknetics Eurotek Pro 11'' DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello guys! You can check in this video, how important is to use your E-Track, only in manual sensitivity mode:

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello guys! You can check in this video, how important is to use your E-Track, only in manual sensitivity mode:

Thank you for that video. Most of the research I've done has said that keeping the E-Trac in auto sensitivity is fine for scoring deeper targets, but this clearly shows that it is a good idea to run it above auto, as long as it doesn't create a falsing issue.

eddie13

Mar 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wonder if it is the processing power being used up by the auto mode not leaving as much for the rest, especially having just switched it to auto the processor might be working hard to decide on a setting..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread