SEF Coil questions/Problem

dan1942

Greenie
Oct 26, 2009
Hey everyone !! I am new here and to Metal detecting. I recently picked up a Safari and have been trying to get the hang of it.
I just got a Detech SEF 8x6 coil and I have a question which may sound stupid. Is this coil suppose to pick up things a little deeper than what the stock coil can or, about the same, or less?? Reason why I ask I dime about 12 inches down and would consistently pick it up with the stock coil but it was a little inconsistent with the SEF 8X6 Coil.
I am completely new to this and I purchased the coil not knowing exactly what I should be using it for or what depths it would work.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Dan

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan,

Welcome to TN, and be very careful, this hobby is very addicting............

Are you talking about air test or coin garden? Some detectors don't air test well, but can go deep on real targets and it is the same with coils. Generally the larger the coil the deeper it goes, while the smaller coils are better for trashy areas as you get better reading of targets, there is less trash under the coil.. I generally hunt beaches, using the 15 inch WOT or the 15 x 18 inch SEF coil, the go very deep, but would not want to hunt a trashy area with either.....

Good luck and good hunting....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread