What specific type of sealant do you use to seal coil cover??

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Sunray S-12 coil on my GT. I was detecting the other day and was receiving alot of false signals. I took the coil cover off and sure enough, there was some dirt floating around there causing the false signals. I have heard of people applying some kind of sealant around the edges of the coil cover to prevent this problem. What specific kind of sealant do I use? Thanks, Bryan

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bryan, I used to use Silicone Sealant , (bathtub caulk) around the edge of the coil cover to keep out the black sand. But it only takes a small gap to develop and black sand gets sucked in to the cover. Then it is a job to remove the cover. A better method is to just resign yourself to removing the cover once in awhile or coating the bottom and sides of the coil with Marine Epoxy in a couple coats without any cover at all. The epoxy protects the coil very well but it adds no increase in sales to detector manufactures for their coil covers.

Good Luck, :hello:
Sandman

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Bryan, I used to use Silicone Sealant , (bathtub caulk) around the edge of the coil cover to keep out the black sand. But it only takes a small gap to develop and black sand gets sucked in to the cover. Then it is a job to remove the cover. A better method is to just resign yourself to removing the cover once in awhile or coating the bottom and sides of the coil with Marine Epoxy in a couple coats without any cover at all. The epoxy protects the coil very well but it adds no increase in sales to detector manufactures for their coil covers.

Good Luck, :hello:
Sandman

Thanks alot for the advice, I guess I will just leave it like it is. At least I know the symptoms of dirt in the coilcover. I was initially concerned that my detector was going bad, because every few sweeps, I would get a false signal and I knew my batteries were good. I got home and took the cover off and there was dirt under the cover. I cleaned it out and no more false signals. What a difference it makes. Thanks again.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing you can do is leave the cell phone off.

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Another thing you can do is leave the cell phone off.

I don't normally carry it.....detecting is my alone time when I can get it!

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Liquid nail clear sealant comes in a tube purchased at walmart, It is on all four of my detectors and two detectors are beach excals and never have had any problems,Make sure coil is clean and coil cover also, then start with a nice bead inside coil cover all the way around then put cover on coil and press in place a few minutes to make sure cover is on all the way and next day your ready to detect, This sealant does not get hard and brittle and is made for water usage, And i have been very pleased with results.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ronald99, I was very pleased with my results too till a tiny crack sucked in some black sand. Because I had the coil cover sealed I never thought that was the problem so I sent the detector in for repairs after trying everything else.

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Sandman hope all is good been along time away, I have had great sucess wit the Liquid nail sealant brand, I dont know if you ever tried this type or not but its a lot different than regular selant, I have heard people that used marine sealant were also pleased, i assume you dont have a skid plate and just heavy epoxy the coil a couple times to get a nice coating on it. When i use the Liquid nail sealant i put a heavy bead inside the coil cover and when i push it on coil i also smooth the side really good to make sure all parts are sealed.This type of sealant has a slight rubbery fill 3 years later after being exposed to saltwater and im very pleased,it has not cracked or turned brittle,
If i was doing hard ground detecting where i was bumping my coil against anything other than water or soft sand i would use your method of epoxy over the coil seems it would also protect the coil from damage.Take care Sandman and Happy New Year. :hello:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Sealant For me.

I Don't trust any

& Want to remove my Cover Nightly to
Clean it out

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't!
Put any sealant on your coil.

Covers wear out and are made to be replaced. It's up to you but, I'd rather just clean mine once in a while.

I can't see where it would hurt it any but, you would have to take that mess off to apply a new one.

I burn through coil covers pretty often so, I wouldn't want to mess with all that.

I've heard of guy's wrapping colored electrical tape around the seams'.

Water and moisture will invade inevitably no matter what so, do what you want.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread