any technique to detect in tall grass??

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
stasys said:
hello all metal detectors users, what is the best technique to detect in tall grass. thanks Stasys
I like to walk backwards pushing the grass and weeds down with my feet. I also carry a scythe with me so that I can cut down higher weeds and grass (with landowner permission of course)

I also would say that the Fisher F-75 and F-70 are great tall grass detectors as they can be swung higher above the ground and still register coins and relics fairly deep.

A friend of mine has a brush hog and offers the land owner a brush hogging of his property for free if he is allowed to detect on their land.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sheet of plywood works, just have to be good at pinpointing.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
stasys,

Tall heavy grass is one of the situations where I use a small (enclosed) coil. you can kind of poke the smaller coils down into the grass and detect as opposed to the normal sweeping of a coil. Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Don't go in the tall grass!" Remember the Raptors in Jurassic Park. :laughing7:

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Read this in a book I think and it worked. I REALLY wanted to hunt this area with that tall itchy grass (about 2ft high) so I took a flattened cardboard box and just pushed down the grass with it. Swung over the box some, moved the box and swung more. When I found a target I pinpointed it, moved the box and dug. Didn't find anything great but I made an awesome crop circle!! :happy2: :happy2: :happy2:

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i use the push swing in tall grass and it works well
(place coil on ground and push the grass down repeat on each side then swing left to right )

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to work at a golf course these work great :icon_thumleft: :laughing7:

Attachments

• gang mowers large.jpg
    gang mowers large.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 317

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, verrrrrrrrrrry simple 3 step process.

Step 1--Get the permission of the property owner.

Step 2--Mow the grass.

Step 3--Metal detect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions