Shafts

Haoleman

Aug 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
I have read the posts that suggest that a straight shaft for the Excal is much easier on the bod but when I looked at Anderson's shafts for $120.00, it certainly isn't easy on the wallet. Com'on! $7.00 worth of materials and a few holes? I'm going to build my own. Only question is where to get the material. Looks like 7/8 inch tubing and it would be nice to get a twist lock. Anyone know a material source in the Minnesota area or can I find it online somewhere? I know boating supply places might have it if they build bimini tops but none around southern Minnesota.

edgemano

Apr 11, 2006
ontario NY
I made one some pics, PM erikk on this site he has a place to get the right size tubbing

Attachments

• DCP_0002.JPG
    DCP_0002.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 418
  • DCP_0002.JPG
    DCP_0002.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 409

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a 6 foot 7/8 inch aluminum tube from most marine shops for about $15 (sold as handle for brooms or squeegee). The handle for the shaft from a bike shop (extended handle) I got 2 for $12.00.....Use wither a clips, or nylon bolts and nuts to secure the controls and battery to the shaft. Best to put the controls and battery so you can reach over your forearm to adjust them just like Anderson and the others are made. It cost me about $25.00 to make my last one, but I just located a store that sells used products that had the aluminum shafts for $7.00 so I bought me another for future use.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
you can use fishing rod,but this is a bit complicate with handle and holes, its light but thin material. or simple right diametre bamboo or hazel. :icon_thumleft:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stasys said:
you can use fishing rod,but this is a bit complicate with handle and holes, its light but thin material. or simple right diametre bamboo or hazel. :icon_thumleft:

Fishing rod is too flexible, small bamboo is too flexible and will not hold up, large bamboo maybe, but who wants to carry a huge pole to hunt with.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bluefindan said:
I was researching the material question just the other day and this place has just about anything you may need.

www.speedymetals.com

Round aluminum tubes of 6061 - T6.

Dan

They have it but it is going to cost you more with the shipping then it would by going to a local marine store and buying the aluminum handle I mention.... Now if you don't have a local marine/boat shop then that is an option......

OP
OP
H

Haoleman

Aug 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Appreciate all the advice. We don't have a supplier that I have found yet in Rochester MN but I know there is a West marine and all kinds of metal suppliers in the Minneapolis-St paul area so I will check it out and post my results....And... Just one comment to edgemano. Where's your Summer home? Antarctica! :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haoleman said:
Appreciate all the advice. We don't have a supplier that I have found yet in Rochester MN but I know there is a West marine and all kinds of metal suppliers in the Minneapolis-St paul area so I will check it out and post my results....And... Just one comment to edgemano. Where's your Summer home? Antarctica! :laughing7:

West Marine sells fixed length aluminum handles for brushes and squeegees, check for them......No idea what they cost up there. I paid $15 on sale for a 40 inch one I bought in West Marine store in Orlando. I have found a small store here that sells the tubes used (cut off longer lengths) cheaper.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haoleman said:
I have read the posts that suggest that a straight shaft for the Excal is much easier on the bod but when I looked at Anderson's shafts for $120.00, it certainly isn't easy on the wallet. Com'on! $7.00 worth of materials and a few holes? I'm going to build my own. Only question is where to get the material. Looks like 7/8 inch tubing and it would be nice to get a twist lock. Anyone know a material source in the Minnesota area or can I find it online somewhere? I know boating supply places might have it if they build bimini tops but none around southern Minnesota.
Take a look at these shafts on E-Bay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dive-Shaft-for-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45f14667a1
Good Luck Jim

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
are these "broom handles" the same thickness as the broom/paint handles u can get at walmart for $3?

I made one but am thinking it's a bit thinner than stock shaft and might bend in the surf, think I will get something stronger.I wonder if they sell it at Academy?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haoleman said:

You don't need a twist lock.

Get a 4 ft 7/8 inch aluminum tube. (4 ft aluminum tubes are sold at West Marine and other marine stores as handles for deck brushes and squeggees) You fiberglass shaft that holds the coil will slide right in.
Aluminum or stainless steel bicycle handle bar extensions for the handle. ( Found in bichcle shops)
Spring clips, or nylon/stainless steel screws and bolts used to attach controls and battery to the tube..I perfer the spring clips. $1.00 each at Kellyco.http://www.kellycodetectors.com/minelab/excalibur-accessories.htm

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
fishing rod is not flexible if you use right diameter. I use it ! problem only that thin wall so connection should be made with more care !

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stasys said:
fishing rod is not flexible if you use right diameter. I use it ! problem only that thin wall so connection should be made with more care !

Your using a fishing rod for a straight shaft?

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
I was just checking out my new Excal 2 1000 and saw something I would like to try but thought I would ask first to see if any of you guys have tried it. Would putting the control housing and battery pod about your elbow make the machine easier to swing? If I would just add an extention (a 12" piece of pvc) above the arm cup would that work? Just drill holes on the pvc to attach the control housing and battery pod. Beats having to buy one of those expensive shafts? HH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SYKO said:
are these "broom handles" the same thickness as the broom/paint handles u can get at walmart for $3?

I made one but am thinking it's a bit thinner than stock shaft and might bend in the surf, think I will get something stronger.I wonder if they sell it at Academy?

No, the handles they sell at walmart are slightly smaller and definitely thinner walled. I picked up a telescoping extension handle for next to nothing at a yard sale that the aluminum inside tube was perfect. Paid a whole buck for it.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
yes I use fishing rode. Buy cheapest 5m or 6m fishing rode and take two parts-second and third or other. and do what you can imagine with quick super glue-zipp or zigzag?but epoxy is very good too! I should check glue name. to make rod stronger in handle or others places , glue small rod pieces on top or inside to make two or three layers, on top you can wind up some thread. good luck in hunting!

Rojas108

Nov 6, 2008
do you have any close up pictures of how everything is connected? I found the 4ft piece of aluminum from west marine but now I am trying to figure out how to put it together.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

I believe if you can get some old cruches, you can make a straight shaft from these :P and they already have the handle on :)

SS

Attachments

• WWF_crutches.jpg
    WWF_crutches.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 252

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread