What are these WOT coils I hear of?

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CoilTek sell them and WOT stands for Wonderful Orange Thing. I'm trying to get my hands on one for my Musketeer Advantage, so I can't give you a comparison, but they're supposed to be a few (3-4) inches deeper than the 10" coil.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently have 3 WOT coils, I have one spliced on one of my Excals, and the other Excal has a Sunray S-12 Intruder coil that just arrived this afternoon, I will splice it on too. I have one on my custom waterproofed Sovereign GT and I had one more for my land Sovereign GT. I cracked the coil on the waterproofed Sov GT so I am taking it off and replacing it with the one from my land Sov.

WOT coils are 15 inches wide DD coils Vs the stock 10 inch DD coil, all 3 of my WOTs are hot coils, they sound off on metal before the coil is over it if the target is not buried real deep. You can cover 50% more ground with each sweep, and they are deeper then the stock coil. I want hunt with the stock 10 inch coil any more, just too small once you use a WOT.

WOT coils are made by Coiltec, which use to make all of Minelabs coils before Minelab started making them in house, and they are made in Australia......

DSCF2033.jpg

Orange coil on right is WOT coil on my Excal, Yellow coil in middle is WOT that was painted yellow to stand out under water on my custom waterproofed Sovereign GT. Just to left of yellow WOT is the stock Excal with the 10 inch coil, that I will be changing the coil out and splicing on the SunRay S-12 coil on this weekend... Note the size difference of the footprint... On the far left side is my land Sovereign GT with the SEF 15" x 18" Butterfly coil on it. I have a spare WOT for it not in picture.....

beachdude

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2012
Toronto & South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, White's Dual Field, CTX, M6
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
How does the WOT handle in the water? Is it easier to swing than the big CTX 3030 coil?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
TH, how is pin pointing with the large coils there?

I have a 17" coming for my CTX, and I've been thinking.....

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my 15" WOT on my Safari, it has found so much silver this year and has made the parks I hunt come back to life. I have a 5"x8" the stock and the 15" WOT and the 15" is now my main coil even in trashy areas it does well just have to slow down and maybe hunt in all metal to hear the good tones.

Here are my good finds this year, almost all with the WOT.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1481399245.702889.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1481399257.819800.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job on the silver!

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm ordering a big coil for my old blue excal. Any advice or instruction for the wire splice? Did you use an IP-68 connector?

Ky Ed

Jan 15, 2010
Louisville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Have been using the WOT for years. I love it. The opinions run from feet to inches deeper. My opinion is: It will not achieve the depth advertised by many folks. The main thing I have found is that the targets that are marginal; will be brought up to a more real reading on your scale on your machine if using numbers or Smartfind scale. I am using the Minelab Explorer 11. My friends have the other Minelab detectors and have the same results as well. It will more accurately read weak signals. Pinpointing is a little harder on small targets. I have found a Barber dime in the middle of several pulltabs on the surface. So, target separation is excellent. It is a bit heavy but you will build a muscle to handle that in time. Ha, Ha! Hope this helps. Ky. Ed Just another thought you might want to bump up your sensitivity up a couple of notches as the WOT is not calibrated to your machine as the original loop is. I bought my WOT from a friend in New Jersey.

Last edited:

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpointing using the WOT on my Xterra seemed easier than some 9" coils I've used. I use the rear, for me it seems the rear drops off the target within an inch. The front varies. The biggest gain for me has been ground coverage after concerts. The items are on top so I turn my machine down and go to work. There is always other people detecting so fast is important.
Using a stock Ecal II 1000 the Xterra 705 and WOT is deeper in dry sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions