MINELAB, WE ARE HAVING A PROBLEM...!!!

BOB VALDEZ

Jan 8, 2006
Was at the beach at 09.00 and intended to search until 17.00 = 8 hours. It was fun, for a while. until my X-Terra 50 broke my earphone.

AGAIN !

Bought my X-Terra about 3 months ago. It didn't come with an earphone so I was advised by the man from Belgadetect, to use the KOSS earphone that came with my Explorer II.
Used that excellent, comfy Koss for a month. Then I started to hear sounds like I was waving my coil through dead leaves...

Belgadetect replaced that Koss. For free. After another month, my second Koss was...DEAD. Didn't hear anything anymore.

FRUSTRATION.

Bought a Sennnheiser (82 Euro) in a big electro shop. Meanwhile, ordered a Maz earphone by Belgadetect. In the week before the Maz arrived, my Sennheiser started to make a strange noises, too !

Phoned to Belgadetect that it was no use, just to replace the earphones, the detector was the cause.

Since, I LOVE that X-Terra 50, I decided to buy a new one, while my first one was going to be sent over to Minelab.
Belgadetect gave me one... FOR FREE. In replace. Got also a new Koss. FOR FREE. Since I ordered that Maz, I bought & paid it. It was, again, like 80 or 85 Euro.

Today, my Maz didn't work properly. I went to my car and took the Koss but the fun was gone.

In my opinion, the X-Terra 50 has 2 problems :
1. sometimes it switches itself off. Over & over & over... Boring, frustrating. May depend on (the lenght of ?) the batteries. My first X-Terra did that, switching himself off when he got in that mood. My second one is just the same.
2. for some reason the X-Terra 50 is breaking all my earphones !!!!!

Note : My settings are : all metal, sens = 20, volume = 20. On dry sand, and there is sometimes lots of trash. But if & when the X-Terra 50 EARPHONE couldn't take this (settings), why didn't anyone say so in the X-Terra 50 manual ? And if & when I lower sensitivity and/or volume, will my earphone NOT break down ? Or will it live a little bit longer ? 5 Weeks ? 6 Weeks ? 2 Months, maybe ????

Minelab, YOU have a problem with your X-Terra 50 in my opinion.

And I have a problem too. How can I work with something in which I don't/can't believe in anymore ? I have an XP GMaxx and a Minelab Explorer II. The X-Terra is MORE fun then the 2 other ones, combined !!!! In fact : all I want is having a good, reliable EARPHONE ?nd - of course - a good one. I could buy like 20 cheap earphones and change the one I use every month. But that can never be the intention, can it ? And I must say that that blue Maz had a much better sound then that Koss, even if the Koss is much more comfy and looks better. All I want is an earphone with a good sound.

My question : GIVE ME A GOOD EARPHONE that will last a while !!!!

I am not angry, just frustrated and disappointed !!! And it is NOT "the money", it is about THE FUN !!!!! All I want is having fun with that excellent X-Terra 50 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because it is really a hell of a detector... (and YES, it was LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT...)

BOB VALDEZ, Belgium

PS My day was spoiled, and I had such a good finds, until noon. (Snif snif !) Pictures will follow !

HELLO MINELAB, AM I THE FIRST WITH THOSE 2 PROBLEMS ????

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sucks Bob. Can't say that I've heard of that happening before, but, with as many issues as we face, troublesome equipment is not something we need!

Good luck getting it figured out.

HH!
TBGO

T

tallpaul

wow, sounds like a one off, i use the x terra 50, without a problem, a great machine, looks like you just got unlucky twice, hard to do, iam wondering if minelab made a bad small batch with the phone sockett side not being right, as everyone i know who use the x terras theres no problems, hope you get that sorted and stay with the x terra as it is a truely good machine,. hh paul.

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry to hear about the situation you are having.....I have never used that machine!!! But I can say that the Minelab Explorer 2 that I have been useing the last 2 to 3 years has never had a problem and has been a great machine for the time I have had it.....Good Luck and hope you resolve the problem.... Seeker :(

R

rvbvetter

Bob your not alone. I use the EXP II , and am on my third set of KOSS phones in the last 12 months. The first 2 sets lasted about 3 months each and this last set has held six months so far, but the pads are about worn out.
The phones sounded fine at first, and then would start sounding like an angry Hornet everytime I got a signal. BUZZ BUZZ
I felt it was more of a problem with the phones than it was with Minelab. Because after each set went bad, I tried them on my whites DFX with the same result. BUZZ BUZZ
At the present moment I'm looking at the grey ghost phones and hoping they'll hold up better than the koss phones. HH

A

AK in KY

Bob - My EX11 used to shut off by itself. Clean the contacts inside the holder and outside even if they do not look bad. Then clean the contacts in side the detector. I assume yours is the same as an EX11. Hope this helps.

AK in KY

OP
OP
B

BOB VALDEZ

Jan 8, 2006
rvbvetter said:
? ? Bob your not alone. I use the EXP II , and am on my third set of KOSS phones in the last 12 months. The first 2 sets lasted about 3 months each and this last set has held six months so far, but the pads are about worn out.
? ?The phones sounded fine at first,? and then would start sounding like an angry Hornet everytime I got a signal. BUZZ? BUZZ
? ?I felt it was more of a problem with the phones than it was with Minelab. Because after each set went bad, I tried them on my whites DFX with the same result. BUZZ? BUZZ
? ? At the present moment I'm looking at the grey ghost phones and hoping they'll hold up better than the koss phones.? ? ? ? ? ?HH

Thank you for you reaction, rvbvetter ! But if the Koss phones where the problem, how come that a compleet other brand does the same, in the same amount of time (I use my detector like 5 times a week, about 3 hours each day). Let's say that after a month I don't have any sound. What is that ? After 60 hours of using it ?
Now minelab is suggesting that I am pulling the cable in stead of the plug. But of course I am NOT. Well, I'll just try the spare cable tomorrow (spare cable on the Maz). If the cable is the fault, then the earphone isn't broken. Simple. And if it doesn't work alltoghether, then I think my earphone is a goner, again !

Thank you for your reaction !

BOB VALDEZ

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually when this problem occurs it is because of the wire being stressed or the plug. While not moving the coil and having a steady hum of threshold, wiggle the wire, move the plug, etc and see if the problem manifests itself. Clean the connacts on the plug and in the detector being careful not to move break any wires. HOWEVER, make sure you don't void the warranty if your detectors is still under it.

Koss headphones are not made for an outdoor envirorment.

P

Pop

Answert to your problem is simple, The Koss Headphones!!! Try a set of KillerB's they work and are made for rugged outdoor use KOSS ARE NOT!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread