Explorer II threshold question

jharris473

Greenie
Dec 14, 2005
I'm using the "factory pre sets" on my Exp II and searching for "coins". I noticed that my threshold becomes silent (blank) quite a bit. When I stop swinging it, the threshold comes back. Then, when I begin to swing it again - the threshold goes silent.

With the factory presets selected, the threshold is plenty loud. But all the sudden, the threshold is more and more silent when searching.

I'm not totally convinced that the machine is just discriminating targets. Like I said, its blanking too often. Any thoughts on this - and Yes my volume is at max. I'd really appreciate any and all comments.

Thanks, James........... ???

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe me, It's the Ground, Combined with your Disc Settings.

Not Much you can do about it, & the Explorer will Still Sound off on

Good Targets in Those situations.

OP
OP
J

jharris473

Greenie
Dec 14, 2005
Jeff, are you sure? Does your's often become silent? What did you mean by my "disc settings"? What is contributing to this? I live in Austin, Tx. I was detecting near and along a creek.

I just hope the Exp II is not broken? Your comments are very much appreciated.

James.....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disc. = "Discrimination" (The Detector is Discriminating out Iron Content of the Ground)

? ?ACTUALLY, It's the Detector Canceling out Ground Mineralization
(I hope I explained that Right)

Yes, Both My Explorer 2 & My Sovereign go silent regularly in certain areas.

? ? ?Is there the possibility of alot of Black Sands along the Creek ?

? I personally Don't have to worry about Black Sands in PA
? ? ?(Iron Ore is the problem here)

IF you want to Prove my Theory, Just to be absolutely sure? in your own mind,
the Next time it is working fine, & all of a sudden the sound goes silent,
Back up to the Last place you had Tone. it should work again.
then move back into the area it? disappeared. it should disappear again.

? ? ? ?You can also Raise the Coil Straight up in the air, pointing at the sky.
? ? ? ? ?See If the Tone comes Back & Re-disappeares, as you lower it back down.

AS I said, The Detector can still find objects not Discriminated out, at the same time.
you will loose a Little depth, but if you work it slow, you'll still be getting Impressive Depth,
Considering the Ground content situation.

A

AK in KY

Two things I would try. First, go to Iron Mask and set it to -16. You should now hear many tones with no threshold blanking. Second, to prove Jeffs point, put a coin in the area that in blanking or nulling and see if you get a response when the coil is swept over the coin. In North Central Kentucky where I live the ground is extremely mineralized. As hgh as -95 on the DFX. For this reason I hunt with as little disc as possible. Usually in IM -16 with the lower right hand corner blocked out. Hope this helps. HH

AK in KY

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
When the detector is set in Auto sensitivity and it is reading ground which changes a lot is mineralisation it does tend to make the threshold fluctuate and null out a fair bit. Try turning the auto sensitivity off and adjust it manually you will know if you have adjusted tit too high when you start getting false signals,if this happens turn it down until these just stop.
seeya Neilo ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread