Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal's and gold chains...

I was testing my Excal II on various items to learn the tones.... Small 10k baby ring and very delicate but long 14k chain wouldnt even make a tone, even with sens cranked and disc set to 1.... Is this normal for the Excal?
I can find the tiniest gold with my MXT, I cant understand why a 17 freq machine wouldnt "see" those small targets... Or am I doing something wrong?
Read a couple other older posts where people said they only find chains by chance, or when digging a coin and happen upon a chain in the same hole...
Thanks..

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Excal's and gold chains...

This is normal if you are in Disc Auto mode. Though I would think it should have picked up the gold baby's ring as my Excal 1000 picks up earring backs. See pic below.

Gold chains are another matter and most detectors can't pick them up, except Tiger Sharks get a louder response. If the chains have a larger clasp or pendant they will pick them up. Many dudes swear their 1280's find gold chains which I know they don't count the addition of the clasp, Pendant or coin near by.

Don't put to much time into learning the tones as it will come in time. Since it nulls on iron trash, scoop everything else and you will soon learn the way gold and pull tabs come in with the low growl. :coffee2:

Attachments

• Earring backs.jpg
    Earring backs.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 394
  • Earring backs.jpg
    Earring backs.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 389

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman is spot on as usual...... :icon_thumright:

I am surprised about the baby ring as my Excal found a .06 gram 10k ring a couple weeks ago that was at least 8-10 inches deep. I had a solid low signal in all directions. I was surprised and very happy to see how deep it was and how small, yet still get a soild signal that deep......I was using one of my Excals with the 15" WOT coil..............

Chains they will hit on if they have a charm, large clasp, or if they fall into a small ball when they hit the ground, otherwise excal sees it as individual links, Not all, but on a great many of the gold chains, the links are hollow, so there is a lot less gold there then you think....

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The only thing I can figure on the baby ring is that it is so thin... Earrin backs are small, but most of their "mass" is horizontal.. Now if that ring were standing vertical, maybe it would "see" it better?
I guess it isnt that big a deal, since necklaces like the one in question are so small and light, not worth that much anyway..... Would rather my machine liked the heavier stuff anyway..
I sure dug a lot of aluminum tabs and beavertails yesterday that were amazingly deep.. I love my MXT, but just like you said Sandman, it pales in comparison when it comes to depth and the Excal...
I can sure cover more dry sand with it though...

crazyman

Nov 6, 2005
Indianola, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Sovereign Elite, Minelab Advantage

I'm not sure why it wouldn't hit the ring. My Sovereign GT which is basically the same as the Excalibur in operation will hit this tiny 14 kt. wire gold ring at almost 10 inches. Not much mass to this one.

Attachments

• MGGoldRing.jpg
    MGGoldRing.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 371
  • MGGoldRing.jpg
    MGGoldRing.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 358
OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The "baby" ring is a lot smaller than that.... It actually may be a toe ring, but my wife called it a "baby ring" and said people actually do buy stuff like that for their kids... She has small hands and thin, delicate fingers, and it would only fit on the tip of her little finger...
Found it at about 6" with the MXT a while back...

I am going to try to stand it up somehow and try the Excal again... Don't get me wrong, I think this machine is awesome. I just wondered why it wouldnt hit on that and the thin chain, and saw other posts where people stated that they couldnt find chains with their Excals...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Surfer said:
The "baby" ring is a lot smaller than that.... It actually may be a toe ring, but my wife called it a "baby ring" and said people actually do buy stuff like that for their kids... She has small hands and thin, delicate fingers, and it would only fit on the tip of her little finger...
Found it at about 6" with the MXT a while back...

I am going to try to stand it up somehow and try the Excal again... Don't get me wrong, I think this machine is awesome. I just wondered why it wouldnt hit on that and the thin chain, and saw other posts where people stated that they couldnt find chains with their Excals...

Remember sweeping it laying on the surface is not the same as when it is burried... On gold chains the Excal sees it as individual links, not a solid chain. Many gold chains are thin and hollow and just do not register, and since there is not that much gold in them they are hard to see....It is the big gold rings you want the Excal to see, they are the ones that have precious stones mounted in them.... :icon_thumright:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It isn't the mass or the weight that affect the signal but the surface area. That is why the earring backs report so loud.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman said:
It isn't the mass or the weight that affect the signal but the surface area. That is why the earring backs report so loud.
Yeah, that is what I meant but said mass.... The SA of the ring I talked about is very, very, small.... I only care about finding the bigger stuff, even though it is always good to see that bright yellow color!

BTW, you were spot on Sandman when you said I would be amazed at the depth difference between my MXT and the Excal.... I kept getting tones when I would swing to the left, and couldnt figure out why, until I realized that my scoop was in my left hand.. LOL... I put it behind my back and the tone stopped... When it was toning, the scoop was a good 3 ft away from the coil... It really has a wide field, and strong!!
I am really going to love that detector, and with the straight shaft config, I can swing it all day long with nary a tired arm.. I dont see why they dont sell them that way..

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Treasure_Hunter said:
Sandman is spot on as usual...... :icon_thumright:

I am surprised about the baby ring as my Excal found a .06 gram 10k ring a couple weeks ago that was at least 8-10 inches deep. I had a solid low signal in all directions. I was surprised and very happy to see how deep it was and how small, yet still get a soild signal that deep......I was using one of my Excals with the 15" WOT coil..............

Chains they will hit on if they have a charm, large clasp, or if they fall into a small ball when they hit the ground, otherwise excal sees it as individual links, Not all, but on a great many of the gold chains, the links are hollow, so there is a lot less gold there then you think....
Your both spot on as usual

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey brother,

Is the baby ring a complete loop? or is it adjustable? I have found that many detectors wont pick up a ring if its cracked or its adjustable.

Crackbadger

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, solid.. I think in retrospect now that it is probably a toe ring rather than a "baby" ring...

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I first started detecting I had a then top of the line BH and found an 18" gold chain with it. I was searcing around an outside basketball court and had been digging newer pennies. The chain gave the same signal as a penny and I almost didn't dig it. But I was a newby and was interested in about anything I could find at the time. It sounded just like a penny but didn't register as a coin. I was thinking it was a penny cut up by a lawnmower. I first found one end link and started pulling and pulling and....well it came out all gold and shiney. I foiund I still had a signal and ssure enough about an inch further I found a penny! Now I don't know which one I was reading, maybe both? And I have often wondered about it since. I am not equating my BH with a Minelab, but I now have a Safari and am just wondering how a chain would register? Guess I'll have to find one to see? On top of the ground laying all stretched out it gives one really fast "bump" type beep and then is gone. I would probably miss it by going too fast. But balled up it really sings out in the gold range. I have a 1280X but I have never tried it. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread