Indian Heads

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Quick question. I have hunted with people who have found Indian Heads, I have run over ground with my Ex II and then immediately had someone with a different brand detector come behind me and find an Indian in a place I had just been.

Can anyone tell me what the secret to finding Indian heads is?

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Larry! :hello:

Are you masking out screwcaps with your Exp.? Injuns are in that area of the smartfind....very similar to a zinc penny, and of course those dreaded screwcaps.

Good to see you out there swinging again. I've been sidelined for 10 months due to a relapse of a painful/fatiguing muscle condition. I'm improving....hopefully, I'll be able to start swinging the machine again before the year end.

Good luck!!

CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
I will tell you my settings as best I can remember them Captain.

Ferrous tones
Deep on
Sens on manual 18-22
Iron mask at 12-14 depending.

So to answer your question I do not believe I am notching anything out. I think it's not the detector but the nut swinging it.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Larry,

You're more comfortable hunting in Ferrous sounds? Remember, on deeper targets, or targets close to iron, the FE number can bounce quite a bit, giving you a mix of "high" and "low" tones......the conductive #'s are much more stable on the deepies, thus you will hear an easier to decipher fluty tone in Conductive.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
I haven't changed settings in a long time. I have it set so that Iron is a low tone. Is that Ferrous or conductive? I cannot remember.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
mastereagle22 said:
I will tell you my settings as best I can remember them Captain.

Ferrous tones
Deep on
Sens on manual 18-22
Iron mask at 12-14 depending.

So to answer your question I do not believe I am notching anything out. I think it's not the detector but the nut swinging it.
Funny.
You know, they are not real common anymore Brian either.
I dug one today. a 1905. They sound completely different from a lincoln/wheat
keep trying my friend...you'll get em
Try the conduct for a while

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Captn SE said:
Hello Larry! :hello:

Are you masking out screwcaps with your Exp.? Injuns are in that area of the smartfind....very similar to a zinc penny, and of course those dreaded screwcaps.

Good to see you out there swinging again. I've been sidelined for 10 months due to a relapse of a painful/fatiguing muscle condition. I'm improving....hopefully, I'll be able to start swinging the machine again before the year end.

Good luck!!

CAPTN SE
Dan

I've seen this with my vaquero. Had an IH disc out about screwcap. But I always dig those in the places I hunt because there are very few screwcaps where I hunt. And always dig foil. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions