How do you detect a yard that is FULL of iron?

dirtsearcher

Nov 18, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign,Ace 250,White's DFX, custom made waterproof detector
I took my Minelab Sovereign XS to my brother's house today to detect.He lives in a house built in the 1800's and I've been there before with my White's Eagle II SL and managed to get 3 1920's wheatie's and some old clock parts and other relics.Well today proved to be a challenge.There is alot of iron in this yard and it caused the xs to null out the threshold pretty much the entire time.It got to be very frustrating.I would slow my sweep speed down to barely moving and it still was having problems picking up targets.I was running the XS with the discrimination and notch turn all the way counter clockwise and then tried with discrimination with no luck.So after much time I pulled the ace 250 out of the car and the same thing happened with it.It kept showing target id's on the far iron side.Somebody please help.I was about to list this XS on here for sale and just stick with my White's but don't wanna give up that easy on the XS.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the sovereign is still most likely the Best
detector of them all for this.

Iron mask, Smallest Coil Available & slow sweep
(sovereign Wiggle) is probably
all you can do,short of all metel & Dig all the Iron.
first.

Alot of Iron targets like that will definately
Shorten your depth But..

If there is another way I Sure would like to know it also.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
dirtsearcher said:
I took my Minelab Sovereign XS to my brother's house today to detect.He lives in a house built in the 1800's and I've been there before with my White's Eagle II SL and managed to get 3 1920's wheatie's and some old clock parts and other relics.Well today proved to be a challenge.There is alot of iron in this yard and it caused the xs to null out the threshold pretty much the entire time.It got to be very frustrating.I would slow my sweep speed down to barely moving and it still was having problems picking up targets.I was running the XS with the discrimination and notch turn all the way counter clockwise and then tried with discrimination with no luck.So after much time I pulled the ace 250 out of the car and the same thing happened with it.It kept showing target id's on the far iron side.Somebody please help.I was about to list this XS on here for sale and just stick with my White's but don't wanna give up that easy on the XS.

Dig the iron. It's hard work but it's the only way to get it all. It's your brothers house so you've got plenty of time. Pick a small area and dig everything. Next time you go, pick another small area and dig everything. I think you'll be surprised in the end. :)

Good luck.

OP
OP
D

dirtsearcher

Nov 18, 2008
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the replies so far.When I say iron everything...I mean everywhere.I believe there are alot of old iron nails everywhere in the yard.Can someone send me a link to video on the minelab wiggle I keep hearing about??

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
dirtsearcher said:
Thanks for the replies so far.When I say iron everything...I mean everywhere.I believe there are alot of old iron nails everywhere in the yard.Can someone send me a link to video on the minelab wiggle I keep hearing about??

Even the minelab wiggle will not find all the goods. You must dig the iron. It's the only way.

Or, you can leave them for the next guy. :D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
by using a small coil & the Wiggle
you are in effect detecting targets between iron

RPG is correct though
any iron is going to reduce depth & Prevent
you from getting all the goodies no matter what.

Even if the iron has nulled a large area Shallow targets will still
ring through though.

OP
OP
D

dirtsearcher

Nov 18, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ok I just bought a DFX so when it arrives I am going back up there to give it a shot.I guess if I get the same results I will have to run all metal and dig all those stinkin' nails.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dirtsearcher said:
Ok I just bought a DFX so when it arrives I am going back up there to give it a shot.I guess if I get the same results I will have to run all metal and dig all those stinkin' nails.
Regardless of any machine you buy, you still are going to have to dig the Iron first. Try a small coil too. Better target separation. :wink:

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
dirtsearcher said:

I used to have a SOV GT and experienced the same issues you had with iron in a yard I was working. The place was littered with iron trash from two
previous homes that were built over that area. It was tough going with the slower recovery and constant nulling that happened. I also tried the smaller coil with it and still had problems in that area.

I went back with an older Tesoro that has a wicked fast recovery and managed to pull out silver coins, small relics and nickles without any issues.
I'm not saying that the SOV was bad, I used it very successfully at other locations, just that it didn't perform well in the iron infested area I was trying to work it.

I think you'll do well with the DFXs fast recovery and the 6" coil working that specific location.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First you have to know your detector, and how to work targets out. The better suited your unit is for the job, and the better you are at it, of course the easier it will be. Having said that, it comes down to making the best use of your time. I would never consider digging small iron because my time would be much better spent moving on to another site. I'm lucky here because the plow does a lot of work for me, but that's beside the point. Very seldom will I dig something I think is iron and it ends up being a non iron target, so that just leaves a strategy of purposely digging iron to get it out of the way... and not many are going to last long doing that.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not knowing that much about your detector, I have used a Garrett Infinium and the Fisher F-75 in extremely heavy mineralized soil. The thing I have learned about nails is no matter what detector you use, you MUST and I mean
MUST swing your coil in all directions to check the target. Check the target north and south, then turn to the side and check it east and west. See how the signal sounds, if the sound breaks up going one way and not the other, chances are it's a nail. I hope you are using the best Headset you can afford, this also makes a big, no Huge difference. Make sure it is one that each ear can be adjusted. I'm talking $100 or more for a good headset.

Again, not knowing your detector, you might want to turn down your sensitivity. The Fisher F-75 that I use, I always check and ground balance my detector many times when I am hunting a really heavy iron area. I mean, it is not uncommon to ground balance my detector every couple of feet. Also trying raising your coil a little higher, just a few tricks to try.

By the way, where I detect in Virginia, some detectors are better left at home, because of the high mineralized soil. If you are looking for a Civil War Box plate that is over a foot down, you need a PI detector. I swear, I believe they must of had a airplane during the Civil War, there are tons of nails everywhere in Virginia. LOL I have dug a ton of them, but the rewards are awesome.

Good Luck,
Ringfinder

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
small coils can help if the place is not wall to wall iron --by sliding thru the iron due to their smaller size -- some places are just "eat up" with iron so bad theres not much you can do but dig it out or use a huge magnet to help pull it out some what.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill (Ohio) said:
dirtsearcher said:

You've just described my yard, and a lot of the yards in and around where I live. Very frustrating.

Bill

Where do you live Bill, I live near Lima, Ohio.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I'd suggest using an electromagnet first. Slow going, but effective. Your area may have high concentrations of hematite, iron sand, or other iron sources which will also make hunting difficult. The magnet will help you reduce surface iron, and may help you detect deeper.

Parts of Michigan and Ohio may have been ground zero for meteorite impact 100+ years ago. Magnet will help recover those too. Hope that's the case.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill (Ohio) said:
Hello Ringfinder. :hello: I live in NW Ohio, just near the Michigan boarder.

My wife and I got married in Fayette, Ohio!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread