Excal II, does battery level affect threshold start point?

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With my NiMH battery pack I have to turn the threshold knob about 3/4 to get a barely audilble sound. With the alkaline pack I only have to turn the knob about 1/3 of the way "on" to get the same level threshold tone. Wondered if this is something that anyone else has noticed or if it's not normal? Fully charged/new/NiMH pack vs. the AA pack with the 8 alkalines (have about 2hrs detecting time on the alkaline pack).

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Excal II, NiMH vs. Alkaline battery pack

What you need to find out is if the voltage is regulated like it is on an explorer, because if it is, that would point at your charger pack not being up tp par. Or, is your Nimh 9.6 volts compared to 12 on the alks? I'm not sure what is going on, but think the answer is in there somewhere. (never had an excal or Sov)

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
....Tesoro conquistador , minelab sovereign

Not sure were but i saw some were that the Alkaline batterys put out more power than the batterys that you charge..... Myself i only use my NimH batterys as a back up i use Alkalines all the time......

OP
OP
rc2125

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Measure 13.05 volts from the factory/rechargeable-pack and 11.05 from the AA-pack with 8 alkalines.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rc2125 said:
Measure 13.05 volts from the factory/rechargeable pack and 11.05 from the AA pack with alkalines.

I just read your first message again.... 2 hours detecting time? Can that be right? That would be my first question to other users.

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used

Sounds to me like your detector should go back to Minelab for a look see. And the why things are going at Minelab you might not see your detector for a long long time..

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used

rc2125 said:
Measure 13.05 volts from the factory/rechargeable-pack and 11.05 from the AA-pack with 8 alkalines.
But the AA batterys hold that 11.05 for a long time the rechargeables drop below that 11.05 very very fast.

OP
OP
rc2125

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Marked the starting points where the threshold just starts to be audible, using both battery packs, one at 11.05volts and other over 13. Just tried some new/different brand batteries in the AA-pack, measured 12.98 volts, the threshold starting point was at the same place as the fully charged 13+volt rechargeable pack does, so I guess as voltage varies, the threshold start point will vary, sound normal for the excal?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rc2125 said:
With my NiMH battery pack I have to turn the threshold knob about 3/4 to get a barely audilble sound. With the alkaline pack I only have to turn the knob about 1/3 of the way "on" to get the same level threshold tone. Wondered if this is something that anyone else has noticed or if it's not normal? Fully charged/new/NiMH pack vs. the AA pack with the 8 alkalines (have about 2hrs detecting time on the alkaline pack).

I replaced the battery in one of my battery packs with a NiMH pack, after a full charge I can get at least 14 hours hunting time out of it. could be longer but just don't know.

I took it hunting on two different days intentionally not recharging it inbetween the hunts since I had another pack with me just to see how long it lasted, both hunts were close to 8 hours, but I did stop to eat and take a break in my truck, so I am guessing a little over 14 hours hunt time. Battery never gave any sign of being ran down.

Sounds like there is a problem with the NiMH pack.

OP
OP
rc2125

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Excal II, NiMH-batt vs. AA-pack

Haven't used the NiMH pack at all, other than briefly for this comparison that oddly presented itself, not sure how long it will last. I put about 2 hours hunting time on the AA-pack, which still has 11.05 volts on it, not sure how long those will last either. I just happen to notice that after plugging in the NiMH battery, that my threshold starting point changed quite a bit compared to when the AA-pack with 11volts is used.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I personally have seen no difference in the threshold settings with AA vs NiHM on my detector, maybe others have...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

I have not seen any thing different in the NIMH or double AA in my detector . But like others i do like to use double AA"s a lot i use them more than i use my rechargeables. But then i don't dive i just wade.

Attachments

• big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 246
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 243

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
rc2125,
You had the same question posted on another forum and I responded to it last night when I got home from my Grandson's baseball game, for the life of me, I can't find the post on the other forum. I had said that I would post my findings today since I had gotten home so late. Anyway, my Alkaline battery pod reads 12.77v and my Nimh's read 13.83v. On my Excal the spot where the threshold starts sounding off is very close on both battery pods. The only difference I saw was that with my Alkalines when I first turn the machine on, the sounds blares up then goes silent, don't know why this is happening but the Excal works great picking up the targets with either battery pod. HH John

OP
OP
rc2125

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I saw that, thanks for checking your machine. If ya get a chance and think about it, see if after using the AA-pack for a few hours or so (either pack actually I guess), if the threshold tone starts up sooner when turning the dial on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread