VDI Chart for the Safari Please...

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have asked this question 5 or 6 times already with no response whatsoever. Either it doesn't exist, or, you guys just want to keep it secret :laughing7:

Does anyone have access to a VDI chart which explains the different probable targets for certain VDI numbers or ranges on the Safari?

I have tried a test in my flower garden, however, the readings are all over the place. I've had pennies come up at a 30 VDI and a 15 VDI. This NEVER happened on my MXT 300.

I mainly hunt by tone alone, or, at least I try to the majority of the time. But, I am a new Safari user and can use all the help I can get.

VDI numbers are important for me since it gives me a good idea of what a target is. Which then gives me the option of digging or not digging depending on mood, area, trash, etc.

On my MXT, smaller and medium gold usually fell in the foil range - 6 to 12 VDI. Nickels 18 to 20. 20 to 50 was mainly junk except for the occasional surprise & anything over 50 was a must dig.

Surely someone out there can give me something similar to the above for the Safari.

BTW, I was having a LOT of trouble tracking down Andy Sabisch's book "Mastering the Quattro", but, tracked one down a few days ago. I heard it is FANTASTIC for the Safari since the Quattro is basically a stepped-down version. Is the book THAT good?

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm sorry you couldn't get a quicker answer.
Unfortunately, your going to have to continue to be a 'tone digger" You can get approximate to the target, as to what it could be but, it's not always accurate my friend.
TID or, Target ID numbers give you just an Idea of what the targets may be. I myself ignore the numbers most of the time. I have adjusted to pretty much distinguishing soda top to silver. And even gold rings sound like soda tops sometimes. I haven't really seen a chart yet with claims of being exact as to what lies under the coil. Just an approximate number.

jturgeon13

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2014
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari , White's V3i , Teknetic's T2 SE ,

Garrett GTI 2500 , White's Coin Master GT , Titan 9000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab Safari VDI Numbers

I have asked this question 5 or 6 times already with no response whatsoever. Either it doesn't exist, or, you guys just want to keep it secret :laughing7:

Does anyone have access to a VDI chart which explains the different probable targets for certain VDI numbers or ranges on the Safari?

I have tried a test in my flower garden, however, the readings are all over the place. I've had pennies come up at a 30 VDI and a 15 VDI. This NEVER happened on my MXT 300.

I mainly hunt by tone alone, or, at least I try to the majority of the time. But, I am a new Safari user and can use all the help I can get.

VDI numbers are important for me since it gives me a good idea of what a target is. Which then gives me the option of digging or not digging depending on mood, area, trash, etc.

On my MXT, smaller and medium gold usually fell in the foil range - 6 to 12 VDI. Nickels 18 to 20. 20 to 50 was mainly junk except for the occasional surprise & anything over 50 was a must dig.

Surely someone out there can give me something similar to the above for the Safari.

BTW, I was having a LOT of trouble tracking down Andy Sabisch's book "Mastering the Quattro", but, tracked one down a few days ago. I heard it is FANTASTIC for the Safari since the Quattro is basically a stepped-down version. Is the book THAT good?

Hi I can give you a pretty detailed list of Id's for the Safari

VDI Numbers you should dig!

12 ---10k gold Ring or foil
13 ---same
14 --- Nickel , pull tab , 14k gold
15 --- Nickel , pull tab , gold range
16 --- Pull tab , gold range
17 --- pull tab , gold range
18 --- pull tab , gold range
19 --- pull tab , gold range
20 --- pull tab , gold range
21 --- pull tab , gold range
22 --- pull tab , thin aluminum , gold range
23-29 ---- these numbers produce many relic's and old buttons & aluminum items even some copper items on 28--29 numbers
30-33 ---- these are generally always copper item's / Relic's , canning jar lids
34 -- Zinc penny , old Button
35-36 --- this is also a penny range as well as copper Relic's
37 -- silver dime , clad dime ,silver quarter , clad quarter , wheat penny , silver ring , pop can
38 -- pre 1982 penny , dime , quarter , wheat penny , pop can
39 -- depending on depth a very deep signal could be a silver quarter or clad coin , iron
40 -- iron , rusty nails , large steel item's

I never dig anything under +10 or VDI number 40 everything I have dug under +10 has been thin foil garbage like candy wrappers
yes Gold rings come up under low numbers but all the rings I have ever found not one of them register under +10
and VDI 40 is always' s steel or iron I would dig everything that comes up with these numbers hope this helps
I can't possibly list everything each number could be but I hope this gives you an idea good luck !

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Seeing as how this post is 4 years old and the one that started it has not posted for almost a year…..I will tell you the best VDI numbers for all brands…." first get all the items you think you will find " second run your detector over them and make a note of what number comes up for that item ….. And bingo you have the VDI numbers for your detector… That is the best way to find the numbers for your personal detector….That goes for all brands and for every one using that detector..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread