Building a straight shaft... Search not helping..

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have searched and found numerous posts on straight shafts, but most say "do a search, you will find instructions from members" and when I search, all I find are post that ask how, or just show one pic of someone who did it and the finished product..
Can someone please point me to the threads that show step by step how to do it correctly (the really nice jobs)?
Seems that in the section of "how to's", no one has posted it in there...

Thanks!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SS,

There are no posts with a step by step pictured process, but it is not hard to do at all.

Get a 5 or 6 foot piece of 7/8 inch aluminum tubing, West Marine sells them for deck brooms ($20) if you can't find it anywhere else. Take your lower fiber shaft with you, slide it up inside the tubing, you will see it is a perfect fit.

Mark the holes for the positions you want for the "A clip" of the lower fiber shaft to slide up the aluminum shaft. These holes are the ones that gives you the total length of the shaft when you extend it.

Use your controls and then your battery pod as a pattern to mark the rod with a felt tip pen where you want the controls at on the opposite end from the coil. Drill your holes. Cut the pipe to the length you want after you are happy with the placement of the controls. You can use either the a-clips, or SS thumbscrews to hold the controls on....Kellyco sells A-clips....

Use a bicycle handle bar extension for the hand grip.............They are sold at bicycle shops.....

You can also order the tubing from here if you can't find it locally..

03-36450-4 6061T6 ALUM TUBE 7/8X.065 4FT
excact size you will need.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/index.html

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys!
My Excal has a homemade shaft on it already, but the holes werent really precise and I could never get the "buttons" to fully engage... Figured I may build one myself...
I have noticed that there are many configurations to everyones straight shafts.. My main pod and battery pod are behind my arm cuff which extends them about a foot behind me... I find it very balanced that way but notice many put them directly below their elbows... Besides being a balance issue, is there any other reason for configuring one way or the other? Is longer necessarily better?

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, thats what I mean... I can see where longer from your wrist down would be an advantage (lwider sweeps), but why not have the unit under the arm, rather than behind it?? Balance?

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mike!
That is a fine job.... I wonder if he made that cuff or bought it... I dont care for the plastic ones that come with the Excal...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread