Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings,

To Xterra 70 users out there.

What pre-set pattern do you like to use (1,2,3)?

I have noticed, that my pattern 1 - which should accept everything from aside from some of the ferrous targets, doesn't like modern clad like quarters and the Canadian toonie. I don't have a problem with copper, gold, or silvers.

Now my pattern 2, picks up these modern coins no problem on the first scan, but it worries me that I might miss out on some gold and other targets when I'm using it...

Pattern 3, I use after I get a target in pattern 1 or 2, to see if it hits in the ferrous zone (-6, -4). Any information on the target before I dig helps to know when detecting in the junky areas.
--------------
So Xterra 70 users, any tips on how to hone in on those better targets?

And again, do you stick on one pattern, or do you hop around.

Thanks for your help and suggestions,

Gio

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That makes two of us 4-H!! :)
:sign13:

KurtB

Sep 8, 2006
Lincoln, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70, CZ20, IDX Pro
Mine hits very good on U.S. coins in all patterns. This is with the stock coil and a moderate swing speed. Threshold at 5, 3 or 4 tones, tracking and Target ID Stability turned off.

Kurt

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Kurt, Ive tried it with stability on and off, but never with the threshold that low.

Worth a shot. :)

Maybe in pattern 1 it picks up the $2 Canadian clad as ferrous and blanks it out, or perhaps there is something I've messed with by mistake. Strange as this is what a Toonie is made of:

outer ring
100% Ni
inner core
92% Cu,
6% Al,
2% Ni

Digger USA

Jul 9, 2008
Midwest
Detector(s) used
X-Terras, Advantage, Etrac, XLPro and usually a few others
Patterns are nothing more than Minelab making a few default discrimination settings. All of the default patterns can be adjusted by simply clicking the accept/reject pad. The best solution is to build your own Pattern using the targets you find in the field. My suggestion is to gather a bunch of the targets you want to dig.... coins, jewelry, military buttons, whatever........ then get some trash you don't want to dig..... nails, bottle caps, foil, etc.......wave each of them under the coil and record the TID numbers. Then set those numbers to accept or reject the targets you chose. That becomes your Pattern.

On a personal note, I hunt in a modified zero discrimination Pattern with only the +48 rejected. And I hunt in multiple tone mode with a positive ground phase setting of 3. And I like the low freq coil for the distinct harmonic audio it provides on deep iron. I've learned to decipher the sounds without having to spend much time looking at the meter. And in a minimal discrimination mode, I don't worry about the blanking effect caused by rejected targets. JMHO HH Randy

RKW

Aug 11, 2010
Four Corners of New Mexico
I'm also just learning how to use my 705. More often then not I search in the all metal mode with 4 tones. Whilst sweeping, I try to look at my display as little as possible and go strictly by the audio signal (when pinpointing I will observe the display for the depth read out and for the updated target ID number). I'm starting to be able to discern, by ear, good targets next to bad targets, and multiple, good targets in the same location. Intially, for the learning experience, I dug nearly every target regardless of the target ID number. Now I only dig solid, unchanging, positive numbered targets. Occasionally I dig the positive, "iffy" targets, such as those created by small foil pieces.

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies guys. Great info.

I am going to try out your Zero discrimination technique later today at a new site I'm going to. I'll see how I make out with the 4 tones for now. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread