Question on the Safari...

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I do with any detector, I re-read the manual hundreds of times (no matter how small) - normally while on the can :laughing7: just to absorb something different each time.

I have been running with the Safari primarily in Relic mode. Haven't had a problem finding silver and pretty much anything else, however, no gold yet. Not a problem, as my thinking is my coil hasn't passed over it yet. But, something in the Safari manual has me a bit confused. Here is the excerpt that has me lost...

"In relic mode, a target with a high ferrous content will produce a low tone and a target with a low ferrous content will produce a high tone."

So far so good, but, on my numerous bench tests, all of the gold I've been passing under the coil has been producing a low or a medium tone NOT a high tone. How can this be? Gold doesn't have iron in it, right?? It's not considered ferrous??? So, why then is gold coming in with a low or medium tone on my machine when the manual specifically say it should be giving off a high tone???

Appreciate your thoughts...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure your post is written how you intended it because there is no connection to the quote you stated for gold?

That said, your detector is reacting the way it should. Gold can be a low subtle sound almost to the point of not existing because other factors can take it down. For the high range, a piece that's chunky and a low karat containing a lot of mixed metals (especially copper) can easily sound off in the coin range. So considering there's such a wide range you really do have to dig every non ferrous target to make sure you're not missing anything. Furthermore, the older your sites are, the less gold there will probably be to find, and that's just the wat it is. I've only found 3 pieces in 10 years and I can't imagine how many thousands of holes it took just to get those.

PS... But I do not get worried about missing it, because being a good button hunter takes the exact same style as gold, and everything I'm done pretty much since day 1 has been about finding buttons.

OP
OP
N

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the same boat as you I.P. I tend to dig most if not all signals anyhow. But, gold has always been very elusive for me. Aside from a fantastic 10k piece last year and some other junky jewelry, not much to show. However, I also hunt land, not the beaches, which I'm sure would bring the averages down on anyone.

I'm primarily after old silver and relics. Just my tastes. However, gold is always nice. But, I even passed my buddy's ring (a 18k gold whopper) under my coil and it came in with a low tone with a VDI of 12. Methought it would be MUCH higher. Say, in the 20's or 30's with AT LEAST a smooth medium tone. But no, low tone once again.

The only drawback so far on the Safari is the INABILITY to choose the tones one wishes for certain targets. Other than that, no complaints whatsoever :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
njnydigger said:
I'm in the same boat as you I.P. I tend to dig most if not all signals anyhow. But, gold has always been very elusive for me. Aside from a fantastic 10k piece last year and some other junky jewelry, not much to show. However, I also hunt land, not the beaches, which I'm sure would bring the averages down on anyone.

I'm primarily after old silver and relics. Just my tastes. However, gold is always nice. But, I even passed my buddy's ring (a 18k gold whopper) under my coil and it came in with a low tone with a VDI of 12. Methought it would be MUCH higher. Say, in the 20's or 30's with AT LEAST a smooth medium tone. But no, low tone once again.

The only drawback so far on the Safari is the INABILITY to choose the tones one wishes for certain targets. Other than that, no complaints whatsoever :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure a large gold ring would be at least a med. tone on an explorer so am surprised it would be low on a Safari. Is there any other targets that come in low, but you think they should be higher? I've seen a similar thing happen when comparing lead signals with someone. Our detectors sounded off different, but I knew mine was right, and turns out his just needed a restart. (but he had used it a long time like that)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread