False signals caused by sand getting caught between coil and cover....A Myth??

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In regards to false signals supposedly being caused by sand getting caught between the coil and cover.......can someone tell me what the difference is between having sand between the coil and cover and having no cover with the coil in direct contact with the sand?

Except for maybe when dealing with black sand, I see no difference in either of the two, aforementioned scenarios. Am I missing something here or is the whole idea just a myth? I only ask because I have never in my few years of water detecting, had this experience.

Bottlebum.....always wanting to learn.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is only a black sand issue, but have been told by several to clean the sand out if I am getting a lot of falsing.... I only rarely see black sand in Florida, and as far as sweeping over it, it doesnt seem to make a difference... So maybe there are different kinds of black sand?

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
It's the black sand (iron ore) which is the problem. You can have as much iron ore "free" sand between your coil cover and coil with no effect to your machine. If you have a good amount of the black sand trapped between your cover and coil, you may not notice a whole lot of falsing because your machine simply ground balanced out those magnetic minerals. However, your machine is not working at its fullest potential because the ground balance has been skewed by the trapped iron-ore under the coil, thus creating less than desirable depth potential. Large amounts of iron-ore will cause your machine to false, causing you to lower your sensitivity and greatly affecting your depth.

Less magnetic minerals = more detecting depth
More magnetic minerals = less detecting depth

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The idea of having a coil cover is to protect the coil from abrasions. The Iron "black sand" that gets inside the cover will affect the ground balance or just the way it operates as was said. After it is out of warranty you can remove the cover and coat the coil with marine epoxy to protect the plastic which is usually thinner on the edges of the coil. Coating it however lowers its resale value if you sell it.

OP
OP
B

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured that it must be a black sand only issue but wasn't sure. I guess that I have been fortunate that I have yet to run into any.

Thanks for all of the replies and ..........

HH, Bottlebum

CRAZY-TEXICAN

Jun 15, 2009
Carrollton Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro MP , Minelab Musketeer modified , Tesoro Bandido II micromax , Garrett Groundhog , D-Tex Koin King BFO
If you plan on keeping it just re-coat it after every season , i hate coil covers ;D ..

Detectorfreak74

Jul 2, 2010
UTAH
{explorer se} I have not done much beach detecting but I do know out here in Utah the dirt has lots of iron in it and I have falsed before and the dirt is sandy in some parts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions