minelab safari + GOLD!

cesarnono13

Jun 25, 2010
Azusa, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ace 250
So I was air testing a canadian maple leaf gold coin (1 Oz of pure gold 24K) with the safari and the VDI comes up as 36 with a really high tone, well in the silver range.... anyone else out there with a safari, e-trac or explorer that have tested 24K with there detectors? if so what tones are you guys getting, albeit they are different between the models but are they in the range that you would expect them to be in? thanks for any input.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt you will find any guys that have a 24 Kt. gold coin to test to tell you this answer.

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
We stopped by a coin store and checked these out:

1 oz 24 k 999 maple 36
1 oz 24 k 999 buffalo 36 to 37
1 oz am gold eagle 38
1/4 oz gold eagle 34
1/4 oz gold $10 indian 32

You can clearly see that the Safari VDI is based on conductivity. The thicker the object the higher the VDI.

The whole, gold-silver reading is pretty much based on standard objects.
I got the silver coins if you need those but pretty irrelevant. It's pretty unlikely you will find Gold Am Eagles or Silver bullions in the ground.
A nice thought though.

OP
OP
cesarnono13

cesarnono13

Jun 25, 2010
Azusa, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ace 250
JohnnieWalker said:
We stopped by a coin store and checked these out:

1 oz 24 k 999 maple 36
1 oz 24 k 999 buffalo 36 to 37
1 oz am gold eagle 38
1/4 oz gold eagle 34
1/4 oz gold $10 indian 32

You can clearly see that the Safari VDI is based on conductivity. The thicker the object the higher the VDI.

The whole, gold-silver reading is pretty much based on standard objects.
I got the silver coins if you need those but pretty irrelevant. It's pretty unlikely you will find Gold Am Eagles or Silver bullions in the ground.
A nice thought though.
thanks for the info! I'm sure this will make the life of new safari users a lot easier :-)

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Greetings,
when testing my safari I got the same results, SIZE MATTERS,
a single $5 cold coin reads low 30s, a pile of them reads high 30s

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
So maybe a 39 would be a stach of maple leaf 24 k gold coins!
I guess we really do need to dig everything!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your time would be better spent digging for those few minutes than testing to see where a gold coin hits on the screen. There's absolutely no possible technical strategy using a visual ID to find a rare find. It's all about the area you hunt, maybe research, digging one heck of a lot of targets, and being damn lucky! I can look at the all the guys I know around here and easily count 100 years total detecting and we have 1 gold coin between us. (and unfortuntely it wasn't me)

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
steelheadwill said:
Greetings,
when testing my safari I got the same results, SIZE MATTERS,
a single $5 cold coin reads low 30s, a pile of them reads high 30s

Could you send me that pile so I can try them over here? ::)

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Iron Patch said:
There's absolutely no possible technical strategy using a visual ID to find a rare find.

Except for one ... if you are at a hunt where large gold coins and perhaps some bullion are hidden, I for one, would certainly go for those high signals and forsake all others.
Knowing where those items came up on my display beforehand would be some very good information to have.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Willee said:
Iron Patch said:
There's absolutely no possible technical strategy using a visual ID to find a rare find.

Except for one ... if you are at a hunt where large gold coins and perhaps some bullion are hidden, I for one, would certainly go for those high signals and forsake all others.
Knowing where those items came up on my display beforehand would be some very good information to have.

Apples and oranges. (real hunt vs planted hunt)

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron Patch said:
Your time would be better spent digging for those few minutes than testing to see where a gold coin hits on the screen. There's absolutely no possible technical strategy using a visual ID to find a rare find. It's all about the area you hunt, maybe research, digging one heck of a lot of targets, and being damn lucky! I can look at the all the guys I know around here and easily count 100 years total detecting and we have 1 gold coin between us. (and unfortuntely it wasn't me)
Your right on there iron patch.....Every one spends two much time looking at those numbers..........I always said those numbers slow you down...

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I have a good signal no matter what the numbers are I dig it. I quickly learned those numbers dont really mean anything but the tones do.

Germanicus

Greenie
Dec 28, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also guide myself mostly by the tones and just use the numbers as a secondary reference point. Still, good info in this thread.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure, I go by tones too, but to stop learning because 'tones are everything' isn't a very good strategy imo.
Yes, research leads to good finds; so does experience and study. Theres a time and place for all of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread