Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...to own both a Sovereign GT and an Excalibur? I am told the electronics are essentially the same, the only difference being that the Excalibur is waterproof.

So if that's the case, why not just get the Excalibur which you can use on land, sand and surf and you never have to worry about getting the Excalibur wet, even when it rains on dry land?

I've checked the board, but I've never seen anyone bring up this issue.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Smudge said:
...to own both a Sovereign GT and an Excalibur? I am told the electronics are essentially the same, the only difference being that the Excalibur is waterproof.

So if that's the case, why not just get the Excalibur which you can use on land, sand and surf and you never have to worry about getting the Excalibur wet, even when it rains on dry land?

I've checked the board, but I've never seen anyone bring up this issue.
Well the Sovereign has a few more adjustments than the Excalibur you can do.......... And you can put the GT in Iron Mask or you can turn Iron mask off in the GT............... But the Excalibur is in Iron mask all the time you can not take it out.......... Plus the Sovereign has notch in it and the Excalibur does not.............. Almost the same but not the same..... Both are BBS and runs on 17 Freq. that is the why every one says they are the same but they are wrong ..................... You can get a lot of good info here and also a lot of wrong info here,,,,,,,,,,

Attachments

• big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 402
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 395

Digger USA

Jul 9, 2008
Midwest
Detector(s) used
X-Terras, Advantage, Etrac, XLPro and usually a few others
In addition to what Smudge said.....

I like the TID meter available for the Sovereign. And I don't have to take it apart and "re-waterproof" the connectors everytime I want to change to a different coil. JMHO HH Randy

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy is pretty much right. The Sov GT is more than the land version of the Excal for the reasons Keppy gave plus you can run with threshold or silent and change frequencies to not interfere with other detectors. Being able to change coils depending on the type of hunt too. You can add a inline probe and a meter and use premium head phones. I like my Black Widows with the Sov. :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy and Sandman are correct, the current Excal and current Sovereign GT while simular in basic electronics, are NOT the same. There are a lot more features to the Sov GT.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
But the Excalibur is in Iron mask all the time you can not take it out.........
You are wrong here.... You can switch the Excal to "pinpoint", and it goes into "all metal" mode... It will then sound off on iron...

crazyman

Nov 6, 2005
Indianola, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Sovereign Elite, Minelab Advantage
It would be great to have both in the same package so I designed this prototype in a 3D CAD program recently for what I would like to have in the next Excalibur. It's basically a waterproof GT with some added features found on some other makes of water machines.

Attachments

• MinelabExcaliburProFinished4.jpg
    MinelabExcaliburProFinished4.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 232

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crazyman said:
It would be great to have both in the same package so I designed this prototype in a 3D CAD program recently for what I would like to have in the next Excalibur. It's basically a waterproof GT with some added features found on some other makes of water machines.

Crazyman's not so crazy! I second that motion crazy. GOOD ideas!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver Surfer said:
Keppy said:
But the Excalibur is in Iron mask all the time you can not take it out.........
You are wrong here.... You can switch the Excal to "pinpoint", and it goes into "all metal" mode... It will then sound off on iron...
I don't think that all metal means out of iron mask >>>>>>>>>>>>> I hate to say this but no i don't..I'll say it........ YOU are wrong......wrong...wrong....

Attachments

• big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 312
  • bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 261
  • bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 260
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 303

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
I hate to say this but no i don't..I'll say it........ YOU are wrong......wrong...wrong....
Thats funny, cause just yesterday when I got my Excal back from Minelab, I was testing it out, took a piece of iron I found with my PI, and switched it to "pinpoint".... It picked up the iron.. Then switched it back to disc, and it was silent.... I was making sure the machine worked in every mode..
So how do you explain that?

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
WOW Crazyman thats awesome ! thats just what id like to have.if they ever make this i will buy 4 of them!!

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Surfer said:
Keppy said:
I hate to say this but no i don't..I'll say it........ YOU are wrong......wrong...wrong....
Thats funny, cause just yesterday when I got my Excal back from Minelab, I was testing it out, took a piece of iron I found with my PI, and switched it to "pinpoint".... It picked up the iron.. Then switched it back to disc, and it was silent.... I was making sure the machine worked in every mode..
So how do you explain that?

I have to agree with you SS.....pinpoint is the "all metal" mode.

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Mine picks up all kinds of metal, even very small pieces of iron, in PP.....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron Mask and all metal is two different things and PP is just all metal............ I am done with all of you ......... For IMO you know not what you are talking about............. :dontknow: :angry4: :BangHead:

Attachments

• big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 231
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 216

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
Iron Mask and all metal is two different things and PP is just all metal............ I am done with all of you ......... For IMO you know not what you are talking about............. :dontknow: :angry4: :BangHead:

Sorry Keppy, you are correct. I for one, was not paying attention and misinterpreted your reply. I now (a little late) see that what you were saying is that unlike the Sov., the Excalibur does not have the iron mask "off" option. I apologize. Bottlebum

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
Are you arguing semantics here?? What difference are you talking about??? If it picks up iron/steel, etc. while in Pinpoint, what difference does it make if it still in Iron Mask mode (which still doesnt make sense to me, how can it be masking it if it is detecting it and toning off on it)?
Bottom line, if you want to hunt and include iron that a PI would pick up, then flipping it to pinpoint will allow you to do just that...
So now splain the difference and why the Sovereign would be better than the Excal, and what purpose "turning off" the iron mask would be? What benefit?
Inquiring boobs want to know!!!!!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver Surfer said:
Keppy said:
Are you arguing semantics here?? What difference are you talking about??? If it picks up iron/steel, etc. while in Pinpoint, what difference does it make if it still in Iron Mask mode (which still doesnt make sense to me, how can it be masking it if it is detecting it and toning off on it)?
Bottom line, if you want to hunt and include iron that a PI would pick up, then flipping it to pinpoint will allow you to do just that...
So now splain the difference and why the Sovereign would be better than the Excal, and what purpose "turning off" the iron mask would be? What benefit?
Inquiring boobs want to know!!!!!
Oh My .. Oh My.......... Oh My.......... I said i am done you will never understand......... :dontknow: :angry4: :cussing:...... They do say that Florida heat does do funny things to people.........

Attachments

• bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 147
  • bunny-dance.gif
    bunny-dance.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 143

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron mask "on" or "off", are discriminate mode options on the Sov. The Excalibur does not offer the option to turn the iron mask off in disc. mode. (which I think is what keppy meant)

No iron mask in pinpoint mode.

It is hot down here and i am done with you guys :help:

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
You sure do have a temper there kreppy, by the way, I apologize to no damn man.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Bottlebum said:
Iron mask "on" or "off", are discriminate mode options on the Sov. The Excalibur does not offer the option to turn the iron mask off in disc. mode. (which I think is what keppy meant)

No iron mask in pinpoint mode.

It is hot down here and i am done with you guys :help:
I'm Done also.. so to every one.......... HH..............

Attachments

• 73.gif
    73.gif
    35.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 73.gif
    73.gif
    35.7 KB · Views: 183

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread