Got my Excal back... Now to start learning again... (Is this normal?)

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my Excal back from ML where it had major repairs done.. So I took it to the local lake to make sure it works properly before a long drive to the beach..
The tones are different now.. Is this normal when they replace the main board?? It isnt as "snappy" as it was before, what I mean is that before it was repaired, good targets like coins, rings, and even pop tabs were easy to pinpoint, and the target tone was very sharp... Now, although I was still able to recover the targets, it was a little more difficult since none seemed to have "defined" edges like before.. Hell, I could easily tell the difference between penny, dime, and quarter before.... Now, all were surprises, and the tone on penny's is not that "ring" like before also.. Dimes were even muted a lot more than before, when they would give a crisp, high tone..
So is it normal for tones to change with different boards? I seem to remember MT Pockets saying his machine changed as far as tones when he had it repaired in the past...

Looks like I get to learn the machine all over again, but I have to admit, it was nice searching in that Iron infested lake without having targets every foot, and then finding them stuck to the magnet in my scoop... But I still like the PI.. Man, it pinpoints like a beast..

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Before I sent my Excal in for repairs, I could tell the difference between foil, bottle caps, etc. and other objects. No more. It kind of peed me off but now I really have to dig everything.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard this from others that have sent their Excals in for repairs and hope I never have to send mine in. They might have a tone deaf guy testing them and all he hears is noises. :laughing7:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman, I wouldn't let those guys touch your Excal 1000 for anything. hope it never breaks down on you.

kinda makes me glad i went with a pi.

just bought Crackbadger's Sand Shark and ought to get it next week. can't wait to try it out and dig everything on the beach.

bought a big magnet and the 8 inch sunspot digger too. figgered im gonna need it.

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes me wonder what they're doing to them. :icon_scratch:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottlebum said:

Letting the lowest seniority employee work on them during over time because they have no union. :laughing7:

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Bottlebum said:

Letting the lowest seniority employee work on them during over time because they have no union. :laughing7:

Are you saying......no union = crappy work?

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got out in the salt today, and man, it is a whole different animal... I found very little with it, and got out the PI and hit some good stuff...
I think it was just a clean, sanded in area... But the dime I found with it did not sound like a dime at all.. And the worst part is, before repair, coins had very SHARP edges to the tone, I could always tell coins from other objects.. Not any more... Very soft edges, and a lot lower than before.. Dimes were always high, pennies had almost a shriek to them.. I still need to test it out more, like on a very trashy beach, and then I will know for sure.. If it is not at least functioning to what they are supposed to, it is going back.. But if it is just learning different tones again, then so be it...
The PI found the 3rd nice ring for me today... I hate using it in iron infested areas, but in a clean area like today, it was great.. Found a lot that I went over and missed with the Excal...

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Surfer said:
Well I got out in the salt today, and man, it is a whole different animal... I found very little with it, and got out the PI and hit some good stuff...
I think it was just a clean, sanded in area... But the dime I found with it did not sound like a dime at all.. And the worst part is, before repair, coins had very SHARP edges to the tone, I could always tell coins from other objects.. Not any more... Very soft edges, and a lot lower than before.. Dimes were always high, pennies had almost a shriek to them.. I still need to test it out more, like on a very trashy beach, and then I will know for sure.. If it is not at least functioning to what they are supposed to, it is going back.. But if it is just learning different tones again, then so be it...
The PI found the 3rd nice ring for me today... I hate using it in iron infested areas, but in a clean area like today, it was great.. Found a lot that I went over and missed with the Excal...

I recently received my new Excal. II but have yet to use it. I did however have one for a short period a couple of years ago. I seem to remember that one of the things about it that really struck me, was the fact that there was not much variance in the tones. I figured it had to do with the headphones. I hardly used it before I sold it so never give the issue another thought. I plan on taking my new one out on it's maiden voyage this Monday. I'll let you know how it goes and what I think about the tones. I also have a Sov., which should help by giving something to compare the Excal. too. Only thing is, I won't be able to use the same headphones.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Got a friend just got his 1 year old {just out of warranty} excal II repaired, same issues, sound much different..he thinking headphones and going with the Mr. Gold Master Peltor conversion by GoldMaster himself...will find out if he had it done and if he did, if it worked.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if my Excalibur or Soverign needs repairs it will be the end of minelab for me ............. i really liked the tones they have .......................And to change them would finish me with minelab.....

Attachments

• !BqB-6c!CGk~$(KGrHqQOKj4EupdGL(5CBLt-72ZDOg~~_1.jpg
    !BqB-6c!CGk~$(KGrHqQOKj4EupdGL(5CBLt-72ZDOg~~_1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 203
  • !BqB-6c!CGk~$(KGrHqQOKj4EupdGL(5CBLt-72ZDOg~~_1.jpg
    !BqB-6c!CGk~$(KGrHqQOKj4EupdGL(5CBLt-72ZDOg~~_1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 197

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Keppy said:
Well if my Excalibur or Soverign needs repairs it will be the end of minelab for me ............. i really liked the tones they have .......................And to change them would finish me with minelab.....

I just took my old Garrett Beach Hunter AT# for a spin yesterday. The old gal still puts out :toothy4:

Too much trash for my PIin this area.

Attachments

• at3a.jpg
    at3a.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 165
  • SIXRINGS.jpg
    SIXRINGS.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 193

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions