Loose loop on Excal ll
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Sep 2004
    Parrish fl
    White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
    73 times

Loose loop on Excal ll

My new Excal has a loop that seems to move too much for my taste. The washers are new and the plastic wingnut is as tight as it can be without stripping it. I tried the Anderson loop support kit and the wingnut is too short on the loop to make a tight connection. Out of frustration, I just put some silicone caulk on the loop and wingnut to keep it more stable. Hope I didnt mess up anything. Any suggestions?
    Steve

us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
    3985 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Loose loop on Excal ll

You don't have to use the bolt and wing nut supplied by Minelab. Go to the hardware store and buy a longer bolt. I used a toilet seat nylon bolt and nut and drilled out the loop and shaft for the larger assembly and it is rock solid. However maybe the lower shaft on the Excal II is a different size.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    Sep 2004
    Parrish fl
    73 times

Thanks Sandman, I'll look at the shaft and see if drilling is a possibility. I hate to modify something when it should have been designed correctly in the first place. I'm reading James Clynick's book about modifying the cables when using a hip mount with the Excal ll. Its a shame the engineers cant improve the flaws. I think I'll email Anderson about the loop support issue. He did respond to my question about the under-over shaft weight balancing problem.
    Steve

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
    2771 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET

I never had to use a loop support i like .....sandman .....said just went to a hardware store and got myself a bolt & nut that fit right........ I always thought of loop supports as a waste of money.............
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    ".. Let no one know what , when , or where ..'

us
    Sep 2004
    Parrish fl
    73 times

I think the silicone cauking is going to work out OK. The coil seems to fixed in a more stable position. I might try it out tonight on the beach and in the water. Not many finds in the last 2 visits to the beach. Not enough people. Still having some issues posting photos . I have some resizer websites, but I dont know how to use them. Any help is appreciated.
    Steve

Sponsored Links