Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I am going to catch a lot of flack for asking this but' Do you think Minelabs (EXP,s and
E-Tracs) are able to ID targets well? What I am referring to is letting you know if the target is a coin (good target) or a al. can (bad) target. It seemed to me the EXP II did a fair job but the E Trac does not appear any better, maybe worse. I try to used the sound to judge first then I look at the VDI numbers to ID. I am not having much luck, everything falls on or near the 12 line(E Trac owners know this). Can anyone one share anything they are doing when using the E Trac that may help me get a better ID before digging. When objects are deep this makes a big difference. Example "I got a nice silver signal (large like half dollar) and it was a new Coors light can. Also old aluminum was showing around silver quarter readings. Any help is appreciated. I run basically in the Minelab Coins mode.

Ed D.

DeArmitt Pa

Jun 7, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First, sound is the most important part. I rarely dig a target by numbers. I use the Iron Mask mode, which is less discrimination and allows for both better depth and better VDI numbers.

Target ID's- ANY machine will pick up aluminum and it will read good. There are over 20,000 alloys of aluminum, no machine can tell the difference. The only role of the numbers is to give you an idea of good or bad targets that fall into that range. A 12-46 could be a large cent, a quarter, a can, a belt plate, etc.

MonDak

Jan 5, 2006
I can't tell you about the etrac, but I've spent a lot of time comparing target signals between the
exp. and the sov., and the sov. does a much better job ID'ing a target.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have to remember that the detector only reports on the conductivity of the target. Due to various conditions this can vary between how each detector shows this on the screen even amoung the same models. I know it is a pain to dig up a Coors can from a good depth thinking it is a nice silver half bust. Especially when you then have to crawl to a picnic table to get yourself up. It comes down to learning how each persons detector of choice shows the target if we use a screen.

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the ET is as good as it gets as target ID go's. Alot of it has to do with how you set the machine up. Running to many filters at once can result in off numbers. Add some minerlized ground into the mix and there ya go.

Most machines group there target scale together. For instance bottle cap/ crown caps reading like high coins. Pennies reading like dimes etc. The ET scale is alot wider. I can tell by tone and numbers the diffrence between a IH penny, zinc penny, wheat/memorial penny, clad dime, silver dime etc.

I could give you my exsact pattern and settings. But because of where i hunt and where you do it may give diffrent results.

In genral the ET locks onto numbers no matter the depth "where i hunt". I hunt by tone first and use the numbers to tell me if i should dig or not.

OP
OP
Born2Dtect

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EZrider, I would like to see your program/pattern. You can send a PM if you like. I like to see what others are using. Can you tell me a little more about how you use sounds? I am a little confused, where you can ID 5 coins, doesn't the Etrac have settings for 1, 2, or 4 tones? Thanks to everyone for your response. I am slowly learning the Etrac. I think the Etrac is kind of like MS Office programs, you can learn something new everyday and still not know everything about it.

Ed d.

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ED, while the stock coin program is fine for a start. It's really not perfect for our country. When Minelab created the stock programs for the ET. They made sure they would work in all parts of the world. I can't give you all the answers for all the questions as i still learn after these years with it. But i have filled a few binders full of coins as well as gold from the beaches. If you havent gotten Andys book yet on the explorer and etrac get it! I always read it and have it handy by the ovel office or night stand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions