Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: MINELAB GPX5000 USERS

hi h4 Heard good reports about the gpx 5000 down here, i., sticking with the 4500 for now, thats a dirt monster in its own right.

tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

4-H said:
tinpan said:
hi h4 Heard good reports about the gpx 5000 down here, i., sticking with the 4500 for now, thats a dirt monster in its own right.

tinpan
I agree Tinpan.

Theres a few opinions about the GPX models on this forum about price and target digging which puzzles me . They don,t own or use Gpx's so it based on what ?????

tinpan We know :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'll be one of those guys that will knock the GPX series on price..... I am looking for a PI to use relic hunting in VA.....no gold hunting is planned. As of now I am leaning toward the Whites TDI due to the cost factor... I can buy two of TDIs for one GPX. :-[ considering bullets are $2-3 each it takes a lot to pay for a $1300 detector, let alone a $5000 detector.

Now if I could only get my dealer to sell me a Minelab near the price of a TDI.... ::) :laughing9:

Does anyone else think the price difference is worth it to buy a GPX for relic hunting? ??? No doubt the GPX would probably be the better machine in a gold field... if I planned on doing a lot of gold hunting I would certianly consider a GPX. :)

jimmyg8138

Greenie
Dec 22, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro, GPX5000, White's Spectre 3, Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Infinium and Troy Shadow x5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Perhaps someone can tell me why ML did not make their stock coil waterproof for the GPX5000. Given the price, you would think they would have put wheels on the coil. LOL. They make coils for the Excal that are waterproof to great depths, so why not for the 5000? Thanks Jim

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jimmyg8138 said:
Perhaps someone can tell me why ML did not make their stock coil waterproof for the GPX5000. Given the price, you would think they would have put wheels on the coil. LOL. They make coils for the Excal that are waterproof to great depths, so why not for the 5000? Thanks Jim

A very good question indeed! I am considering a 5000 myself, but much prefer it to come with a waterproof coil for those beach and gold stream hunts where the coil may get wet, you know a just in case kind of thing. I'm in North Alabama and live about 70 miles away for the Piedmont Updrift which is the states gold belt and the site for one of the U.S.'s first gold rushes in the early 1800's. Oh well, nuff said on that. The GPX 5000 is a great detector, second to none on finding gold in the right hands, but mine will also be used on CW and Revolutionary War relics that I have to drive to, so would it be to much to ask Minelab for a water proof coil to come with this top of the line machine, I think not!

MonDak

Jan 5, 2006

Since my $500 sov. finds as much as my $1300 explorer, I'm going to believe my
$1300 dollar GPX2100 will find as much as a $5000 GPX5000.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hi all, so who has used a minelab gpx?????

tinpan

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT

mach 1. if looking for a p.i for relics, take a look at a cscope cs4pi (inexpensive,well made, easy to use, lightweight, and it punches deep)....hh....jb

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hi all heres some of the finds of a GPX 4500 with a 12x5 mono coil. so the 5000 is better

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_0019.jpg
    100_0019.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,315
  • 100_0074.jpg
    100_0074.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,459
  • 100_0508.JPG
    100_0508.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 1,537
  • 100_0360.jpg
    100_0360.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 1,319
  • 100_0083.jpg
    100_0083.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,309
  • 100_0226.jpg
    100_0226.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,920
  • 100_0074.jpg
    100_0074.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,292
  • 100_0019.jpg
    100_0019.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,288
  • 100_0508.JPG
    100_0508.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 1,350
  • 100_0360.jpg
    100_0360.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 1,276
  • 100_0083.jpg
    100_0083.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,298
OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

jimmyg8138 said:
The coils are simply NOT water resistant for the simple fact, Gold is found in the hills. LOL The machine was designed to find Gold there. That's where people have been using the GPX's are in the dirt. Now we are seeing amazing finds from the beaches, lakes and creeks all over the world using the GPX series.

As of now, "Coil-tek" indeed makes an aftermarket underwater coil. Platypus series.

If you buy a machine from me, we could work something out where I keep the stock MONO coil, and discount a Waterproof COIL -TEK to suit. If your interest is the beach or creeks.

I hope this answers your question.

This machine really is amazing folks

arsurfco

Sep 10, 2008
Re: MINELAB GPX5000 USERS. And "Want-to-be" users.

Hi All,

I'm interested in buying one of the minelab GPX series detectors but I'm not sure I get anything more buying the GPX 5000 verses the GPX 4500? I went to the minelab site and did some reading on the specs for the 5000, 4800, and the 4500.. The only difference I see in them is the 5000 has a few more soil settings and a extra coil... Everything else seems to be the same? Anyone have any other facts or details they could clue me in on.

Thanks,

Aaron R.

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I should know this, but I really don't. I have just emailed the tech's at Minelab to give me the opinion.
Other than those two setting I can't see much a difference either.

I will post the answer when I receive it back.

Mike

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Here's the reply folks.

Hi Mike,

The GPX-4800/5000 advantage compared to the 4500 is a very straight forward matter of electronics and user features.
One impressive feature is the new coin and relic timing (CRT) which allows incredible depth of detection in low to slightly mineralized soils here in the States. In the CRT detectorist have very little to do other than a noise cancel/Auto Tune, ground balance and set the threshold tone to their preferred setting to match their hearing and go hunt.

With advancements in Minelab technologies we have been able to improve the electronics for much quieter operation. We also developed and increased the sensitivity to targets and we improved ground balance performance. The gang in Australia also improved the “Enhance” Soil timing on both the 4800 and 5000 this allows for a much quieter operation of the detectors and has resulted in improved depth, and sensitivity over the 4500.

I have done side by side comparisons with the entire line of machine and even though there are a few functions that the 4500 had such as the Sensitive Smooth timing and the patch mode that the 4800 does not feature; know that the GPX-4800 is not a replacement for the 4500 it is a machine designed for a budget minded detectorist looking for exceptional results in a value package.

The GPX-5000 is the true replacement for the 4500 and is for the person looking to own the very best gold detector with the added bonus of the CRT feature included.

Again the advancements in technology have allowed us to build a quieter more efficient detector. The addition of the “Fine Gold” and “Salt Gold timings are nothing short of a reinvention of PI detecting.

As a nugget hunter I have been amazed at the results of the GPX- 5000 in a lot of my “hunted out” patches. Simply put the 5000 in fine gold timing coupled with the smoother electronics is finding more gold than I ever thought possible in some of my areas.

As I shared with you previously in the emailed slide you can see how the new Fine Gold timing allows nugget hunting for a very wide size range of gold in mineralization that was just not attainable with the 4500 or any other detector that has been manufactured.

I have not had a lot of chance to use the salt gold timing as I am land bound but I am currently in California and am going to try to spend a day on a very salt mineralized spot of Salton Sea on a privately owned beach lot that I have hunted previously with SD/GP/GPX units and if this timing is what I expect after what I have experienced with the other 5000 timings then I have no doubt that there will be a run on long handled #2 shovels to start recovering targets in hi salt environments. Both the 4500 and 4800 have the salt coarse timing and I am willing to presume that the enhanced electronics of the 4800 will allow it to better perform in this environment than the 4500. As a side note if you are not familiar with the Salton Sea region of California the salinity of the water is much greater than that of the Pacific Ocean the last time I saw a report it was around 44 g/L and quite frankly if it works there it will work in any salt environment I have ever detected, including fort hunting the western shores of the Great Salt Lake.

To summarize all of this

GPX-4500

Is discontinued and once dealer stocks are depleted there will be no more of these detectors. This is a normal procedure of technology advancement.

GPX-4800

Is a excellent detector that is suited for the Coin Relic and Treasure hunting folks that are wanting a true full power Minelab Pulse without the complete expense or all of the Gold detecting features that may never be utilized by detectorist that do not have the opportunity to nugget hunt often.

It is also finding a good home for those that are coming out of other brands of PI nugget detectors that do not want the complete expense of a GPX-5000 and that have a number of Minelab coils for their current unit. It is not an upgrade for the GPX-4500 it is a standalone detector. Think of it more in the lines of the ultimate CRT detector with the added benefit of having gold timings.

I do not believe that the engineering team could have built the 4800 to do what it is capable of on just a CRT platform. There are features of Minelab’s PI gold machine incorporated into the 4800 that allows it to perform in the way that it does. But again it is not a replacement for the GPX-4500. With a lower price point we are seeing it sold quite well to budget minded detectorist, detectorist changing to the Minelab brand, Coin Relic and Treasure hunters only and to owners of older Minelab PI technologies that may have amassed a number of coils for their older detectors that are looking to upgrade their current SD/GP detector.

GPX-5000

This is the detector that is the upgrade for the GPX-4500. It features new and unique timings and enhanced electronics over the GPX-4500 and should be the considered detector if you are electronic gold prospector looking to have the very best gold machine available.

The 5000 offers the nugget hunter the most advanced technologies for working the worst ground anywhere in the world. I have used this detector in areas that were a challenge for the 4500 and found gold that was simply not visible to the 4500. And this is not always about depth. The enhancements in the 5000 have allowed me to re-hunt some of the most difficult soils and not only have great depth but it has allowed me to find small gold nuggets in areas that excessively hot soils challenged my GPX-4500.

With all of the advancements to the GPX- 5000 for nugget hunting the design team added the CRT feature to the GPX-5000 as an added bonus.

Mike there are a number of training classes scheduled over the next few months I would really like to see you attend one as soon as possible. There is a rather extensive unit on the GPX series of detectors that should help you better understand how and why these detectors are simply a part of Minelab continued commitment as the “World’s Best Metal Detection Technologies”

Very Best regards,

Your friend
Kevin Hoagland

kai_gold

Jun 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Use: Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, F5, Compadre

Previously Used: Etrac, Explorer, G2, Lobo ST, Ace 250, Ace 350, MXT, Goldmaster 4/b, Gold Stinger, GTAx 550, Sovereign, Golden Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
know that the GPX-4800 is not a replacement for the 4500 it is a machine designed for a budget minded detectorist looking for exceptional results in a value package.

That made me laugh. No doubt these are excellent machines, but for the budget minded? Can't wait til the day that my income is so high that I can drop 5 grand on a metal detector and feel like I am going the cheap budget route.

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: MINELAB GPX5000 USERS. And "Want-to-be" users. **Updated

I have to agree the price tag is high, but some of the guys have paid for their machines in just a couple digs already. I am not one of those guys....yet :D

Will Penny

Greenie
Aug 28, 2009

kai_gold said:
Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
know that the GPX-4800 is not a replacement for the 4500 it is a machine designed for a budget minded detectorist looking for exceptional results in a value package.

That made me laugh. No doubt these are excellent machines, but for the budget minded? Can't wait til the day that my income is so high that I can drop 5 grand on a metal detector and feel like I am going the cheap budget route.
:wav:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread