Excalibur II decals ... looking like ... you know.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What is up with the decals on the Excalibur II detectors.

They will not stay stuck down long enough for them to ship a new detector to you.
They were lifting up and curling off the detector when I got it and they are getting worse with time.
They seem to be too thick and stiff for the adhesive to hold down.
The older Excaliburs did not seem to have that problem ... just the new Excalibur II with the lime green decals.

I know it is just cosmetic ... but still ... $1200 and it looks ratty after one summer of light use?
Wasnt there enough money in the Minelab budget for silk screening the detector bodys?

By next summer the detector will look better if I strip all the decals off it.
If I can just remember what knob does what.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
how true! iv bought 2 new Excal's in 2 years and on both of them the decal lifted from the bottom edge in less than 2 months. thank God they are great performers or id junked mine a long time ago! i just dont understand why they cant see the market for a waterproof GT...man they would sell a million of them..of course then no one would invest in the Excal.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so glad I have my Excal 1000 working like it was new. Mine has paint wore off the sides of the NIMH battery pak from rubbing on my wet suit because I use a neck harness. If I had the know how I would design a waterproof case for my Sov GT as I think it would be better than the Excal in the water. :thumbsup:

hawk-run

Feb 24, 2010
I am from Gods Country
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT Garrett ACE 250 & Pro Pointer
That's what happens when they make them in China.....Wonder what is falling apart inside the detector,,,,,,,,,,,that is why my next detector will be a Garrett or White or Tesoro or even a Fisher .........BUT ONE THING for sure it will not be a MINELAB and the proof of that is by how many are getting new Minelab detectors that don't work right out of the box.

OP
OP
Willee

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dixie Digger said:
how true! iv bought 2 new Excal's in 2 years and on both of them the decal lifted from the bottom edge in less than 2 months. thank God they are great performers or id junked mine a long time ago! i just dont understand why they cant see the market for a waterproof GT...man they would sell a million of them..of course then no one would invest in the Excal.

Actually ... the Excalibur is the Sovereign circuit redesigned to fit on a narrow PC board.
Also the unused control circuits were left off.
But I know what you are saying ... something like a White's BeachHunter ID box with the Sovereign GT board inside.

hawk-run said:
That's what happens when they make them in China.....Wonder what is falling apart inside the detector,,,,,,,,,,,that is why my next detector will be a Garrett or White or Tesoro or even a Fisher .........BUT ONE THING for sure it will not be a MINELAB and the proof of that is by how many are getting new Minelab detectors that don't work right out of the box.

The inside works of the Excalibur should be up to snuff as almost all PC boards are very high quality even when made overseas.
Besides ... you get lemons no matter which brand you buy ... $hit happens.
It would be hard to find any American made electronic PC boards in today's market.
The critical part is the assembly of the end caps and the "O" rings ... any defects there and you get a water leak and serious damage.

I just think they could have done a better job with the decals that are pealing up.
A better adhesive or even thinner decals perhaps.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Sandman said:
I am so glad I have my Excal 1000 working like it was new. Mine has paint wore off the sides of the NIMH battery pak from rubbing on my wet suit because I use a neck harness. If I had the know how I would design a waterproof case for my Sov GT as I think it would be better than the Excal in the water. :thumbsup:

To have the Sovereign GT fitted in a waterproof housing incorporating interchangeable coils and chest mountable as present, was suggested personally to Ian Atkins at Minelab Australia when we last met and spoke.

If more GT users would express their interest in this development directly to Minelab Australia, then perhaps ??

ivanll

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not just grab a can of 3M headliner adhesive? Pull the sticker completely off clean the back of dirt & funk. Spray a light coat on it, let dry for about 2 minutes, spray another light coat. Apply the sticker where it belongs. Work from the center out to the edges smoothing out any bubbles. Whaa laaa! You won't have to worry about it coming off again.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reviving an old thread here...anyone know a place to get replacement decals for the excals? I have a 1000 and just bought an 800 as well. The decal on the 800 is pretty trashed! Are there places that make ones that are the same or even custom ones?

localbug

Dec 15, 2016
Indonesia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why don't you make your own decal??

I made this yesterday.

FB_IMG_1481825587676.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread