XLT, Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer

leefields

Feb 25, 2008
Lake Hamilton Florida 33851
Detector(s) used
Excall 2 w/Anderson shaft ...
Minelab CTX 3030 ...
Minelab GT
should have ordered mittens hat long underwear fuel powered hand warmer lip balm more long underwear...those ear muff things...long socks with batteries...

....now read every thing you can on the GT and Excall...on as many websites as you can....

and look after the Anderson over/under shaft....it is really comfortable to carry on the beach..

then get down to Old Orchard Beach and get after it....

welcome to the wonderfull world of Minelab....

ToniSteve

May 23, 2009
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
2 Tesoro Tiger Sharks, Sovereign GT, Excaliber 1000, XL Pro, IDX Pro with Mods, M-6, Minelab MusketeerAdvantage,
Re: Took the plunge, check out OBN video productions

Check out all the videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/OldeBeechnut

and all of OBN's posts on all the forums. Also get the Ear Training CD by Toni Diana for the Excal, it will cut down on your learning curve quite a bit. Not only for the tones but also for the architecture of sound. It will help with all audio detectors, because it accentuates the nuance of sound, and knowledge of that can be made to apply to any detector as you learn it.

Best regards,
Steve

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hit that beach too in the winter, having the xcal sit for a long time is a waste.. bundle up and hit it.. oh yea.. go get er done.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bootybay said:
hit that beach too in the winter, having the xcal sit for a long time is a waste.. bundle up and hit it.. oh yea.. go get er done.

I'm hitting the beach early Sunday morning with my new Thermal coveralls I'm getting for xmas, hell I might hit the beach tomorrow morning. :laughing9: :laughing9:

OP
OP
harryb007

harryb007

Oct 28, 2010
Waterboro, Maine
Detector(s) used
Have the thermal coveralls, neoprene gloves and rubber waders so think I be good to go. I have read hundreds of posts and watched dozens of videos. This site has helped me make my decision to get the excal instead of the infinium. I went with the 10 inch coil. I am about 40 minutes from Old Orchard beach. Have a lot of lakes within 50 miles of me so will prob look into getting a dry suit in the spring. I will still use my XLT in the woods unless the excal proves superior in that enviroment. Getting a 1st pilot for free with excal, its prob junk but will come in handy if some one wants to detect with me. Thanks for the replies and encouragement. Merry Christmas

OP
OP
harryb007

harryb007

Oct 28, 2010
Waterboro, Maine
Detector(s) used
It finally arrived!!!!! Have the battery pack charging. Machine assembled. Heading to beach on Friday for the maiden voyage. I am glad I got the hip mount I can already tell it would be a beast to swing for any amount of time without it. I will post pics if I get anything worth bragging about. Also be ready for all my questions hahahahahahahaha. Low tide is around 7AM so it will be cold, stay will prob be short. HH Harry

OP
OP
harryb007

harryb007

Oct 28, 2010
Waterboro, Maine
Detector(s) used
Went out Thurs afternoon, tide was just beginning to go out so didnt get much wet sand time. About 90 minutes. The tones are definately gonna take some getting used to. Not sure if it is normal but after the excal nulls i get a constant GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR sound that clears on the next target. I ran sensivity in auto, disc at 2. Volumne control didnt appear to make any difference. Pinpointing was a lot easier than I expected it would be. Found several pull tabs and 5 coins, 4 zincolns all crusted over to the point of barely recognizable and 1 dime attached to some rock and tar material, possibly fire damage. I do think the heavy duty sand scoop I got is gonna be a workout. All in all was a good learning experience.

Attachments

• jan72011.JPG
    jan72011.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 201

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
harryb007 said:
Went out Thurs afternoon, tide was just beginning to go out so didnt get much wet sand time. About 90 minutes. The tones are definately gonna take some getting used to. Not sure if it is normal but after the excal nulls i get a constant GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR sound that clears on the next target. I ran sensivity in auto, disc at 2. Volumne control didnt appear to make any difference. Pinpointing was a lot easier than I expected it would be. Found several pull tabs and 5 coins, 4 zincolns all crusted over to the point of barely recognizable and 1 dime attached to some rock and tar material, possibly fire damage. I do think the heavy duty sand scoop I got is gonna be a workout. All in all was a good learning experience.

Friendly advice, dont run any discrimination, you will descriminate out some gold if you do. The base metals used to make 10, 12, 14k gold will be descriminated out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread