Minelab excalibur 2 depth on dry land

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Never tried really. Got too much confidence in my Etrac to bother with the Excal on land,but an Excal is just a waterproof Minelab "Sovereign", and they were always great land machines. :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only used the Excal 1000 on land once but the Sov GT many times and found the Sov could find coins at near 10 inches with the standard coil. I might not have coins deeper than that where I am at and my test garden I don't have anything buried deeper than 8". Most detectors can't find the 8" coins. Haven't tested the AT Pro there yet.

Ronfrommichigan

Jan 8, 2011
Oxford MI
Detector(s) used
All
I have a little experience on land with the older Excal with the BBS 800 coil and was getting good depth.The new Excals use the Slimline coils.With the 10 inch coil you should get excellent depth in the right ground conditions.In Vassar Michigan at an old race track I found an old seated dime 12 inches plus with a GT using the Tornado 10 inch coil.You should have similar performance results with you Excal ll.Good Luck Ron

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
I used to have a Minelab E-trac and sold it after getting an Excalibur II 1000. I have the WOT coil on it and it does everything I need in a metal detector.

The E-trac was an awesome machine but I found that the Excalibur was better for my type of hunting. I did a lot of water detecting and then started using the Excalibur exclusively even on land. The Excalibur II 1000 is a great land machine. And I don't have to worry about it getting wet.

On land, the Excalibur is better when in highly mineralized ground than the E-trac. I found that in my case, in areas that I hunt, the Excalibur was deeper than the E-trac in most instances. I also found that once I got rid of the E-trac, the Excalibur was even better for me as I got used to the sounds it made even quicker. Not that the E-trac was a bad machine. Far from it. But the E-trac was almost too easy to use for me. I like the challenge of using a sound machine. My land experience in Ohio helps with using the Excal in Florida on the beaches and in the water.

Don't sell short the Excalibur II's depth on land. It is a great land machine, maybe equal to any others in my opinion.

OP
OP
Wayupnorth66

Wayupnorth66

Mar 26, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
steve from ohio said:
I used to have a Minelab E-trac and sold it after getting an Excalibur II 1000. I have the WOT coil on it and it does everything I need in a metal detector.

The E-trac was an awesome machine but I found that the Excalibur was better for my type of hunting. I did a lot of water detecting and then started using the Excalibur exclusively even on land. The Excalibur II 1000 is a great land machine. And I don't have to worry about it getting wet.

On land, the Excalibur is better when in highly mineralized ground than the E-trac. I found that in my case, in areas that I hunt, the Excalibur was deeper than the E-trac in most instances. I also found that once I got rid of the E-trac, the Excalibur was even better for me as I got used to the sounds it made even quicker. Not that the E-trac was a bad machine. Far from it. But the E-trac was almost too easy to use for me. I like the challenge of using a sound machine. My land experience in Ohio helps with using the Excal in Florida on the beaches and in the water.

Don't sell short the Excalibur II's depth on land. It is a great land machine, maybe equal to any others in my opinion.

Thanks a bunch steve....I when i get one i will use it in water and on land also....

wun

sgratrider

Sep 21, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use mine on land all the time. Goes very deep. Measured the length of the lesche,12 inches, have found myself in a hole the length of the digger plus probably 2 more inches or so many times.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used my Excal for land for about a year, found lots of deep targets with it......Only bad thing about the Excal on land is it is heavy, but with a harness it is fine............

OP
OP
Wayupnorth66

Wayupnorth66

Mar 26, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Treasure_Hunter said:
I used my Excal for land for about a year, fould lost of deep targets with it......Only bad thing about the Excal on land is it is heavy, but with a harness it is fine............

excellent point !!

thanks

Metal mickey

Apr 1, 2011
Hi i use my excalibur 2 everywhere the depth of this machine is amazing in the right conditions i can get 12-14" on threepence silver coin which is very small. In most of the old parks here in southland new zealand the modern trash is not as deep as the old coins and relics that we all love. This is where the minelab excalibur shines once you have learnt the tones you can dig the deep targets and ignore the shallow ones I only land detect old parks or house sites and when I do dig every target I find 80% of my keepers have been the deeper targets. My excal can keep up with my uncles etrac while he does not dig as much trash as me he has more trouble locating a target once out of ground he needs a pinpionter, I have found i do not need a pinpointer with the excal 10" dd. I have used the excalibur land detecting for about 3 years and would not replace it with any other detector

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal mickey said:
Hi i use my excalibur 2 everywhere the depth of this machine is amazing in the right conditions i can get 12-14" on threepence silver coin which is very small. In most of the old parks here in southland new zealand the modern trash is not as deep as the old coins and relics that we all love. This is where the minelab excalibur shines once you have learnt the tones you can dig the deep targets and ignore the shallow ones I only land detect old parks or house sites and when I do dig every target I find 80% of my keepers have been the deeper targets. My excal can keep up with my uncles etrac while he does not dig as much trash as me he has more trouble locating a target once out of ground he needs a pinpionter, I have found i do not need a pinpointer with the excal 10" dd. I have used the excalibur land detecting for about 3 years and would not replace it with any other detector

MM,

Welcome to TreasureNet, best treasure site on the net..... :icon_thumright:

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have run mine through my coin garden on a few occasions. It handles everything to 10 inches and also sounds on the 12" quarter, ....10" excal II. Can't recall if it did better cranked up, mid level, auto or pinpoint though. Gotta dust it off here in a month or so and put it back to work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread