Explorer II Delivered

N

neu

Well, got my Explorer II yesterday afternoon. Read the manual and watched the video then off I went.

Now, I had it in my head that most people that loved this machine right off the bat would have to be minelab owner's, and long-time White's users like myself would either hate the machine, or have an extremly hard time learning it. So here's my review of the Explorer II:
***factory default settings***​
So, I go out on factory default and go over a small area I intentionally cleared the night before with my white's XLT. area is a bout 10'x10'
Within 2 sweeps I dug a penny that the XLT had passed over many times. About ten minutes later, I dug a quarter at about 8".
***30 minutes in one hunted out area yeilds 2 coins***​

***Advanced/Custom Settings***​
After this, I go inside for a bit more reading... Changing some settings etc. Go back outside with the new settings and I'm totally amazed. Those who say the learning curve on this machine is steep.. I find that to be 100% wrong, I found it very easy to learn and use. I hunt from about 6 PM to dark, and find 2 pull tabs, 6 coins (clad), a few pesky .22 shells and various other things. again, in a place I've hunted with the XLT many many times.

Now as many have said, pinpointing is a bit rough in trashy area's with the 10.5" stock coil. To be expected I guess. I haven't quite gotten the hang of it, scratching one coins, and big holes so far. But I have learned one thing, which I hope won't hold me back later... I have better luck (in this trashy area) not using the pinpoint feature.

People have said it's a bit heavy on poorly balanced - I don't see it at all. Seems just right to me.

Now, all in all I would give this machine a 10/10. The only thing bad I can find is the pinpointing, but that's nothing a little practice won't fix.
those who are thinking about buying one, I would say BUY IT! read the manual, watch the video and you won't regret it, I promise :)

My settings:

Sensitivity fuction = Manual
Sensitivity value = 20+
Threshold = 10
Threshole tone = 3
Iron Mask = -8
noise channel = 5
display type = smart adv
audio volume = 10
audio volume gain = 7
Variability = 10
Tone limits = 10
Sounds = Ferrous
Response = normal
Fast = OFF
Deep = ON

OP
OP
N

neu

Forgot a couple things.. for coin shooting I have everything accepted but; fe coins, crowncap and nail. with a few adjustments with the edit/learn features.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah but now buy a DFX and see what you find :) I believe using any detector you might find something there never mind the weather conditions ETC ETC.

How do you know when DEEP is on? When it is all in black?

OP
OP
N

neu

heh, if I could buy a DFX and test them both I surely would. but being a 21 year old student, just buying this explorer II was a hell of a challenge :'( but, you're probably right about that. Although I have used the XLT for years, to the point of it being an extension of my body, the age of the XLT might factor in here. Either way, I was very impressed by the EXP II. When it cools down a bit I will take it to a few churches / parks that have been hunted by loads of people.. see how it does out there.

Not sure what you mean by how do you know when DEEP is on, other than menu > options > advanced > recovery > deep. hit the shift button by deep to either turn it on or off. black would indicate on.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Hi Alan you have got yourself a good machine thats for sure, I would recommend getting Andy Sabisch book Mastering The Explorer XS and S. Whilst the book is for the earlier model all the relevant information also applies to the Explorer2 it has some good tips on using the detector in different enviroments, settings etc. I notice you are using your machine in the ferrous sounds mode, I use conductivity mode it is easier to identify coins that way, also try audio 1 for your response this makes signals more apparent and easier to differentiate between good and bad targets.I wont bombard you with too much, you are doing well. I think as you say the machine is not hard to learn it just takes practice. good luck hope you find plenty.seeya Neilo ;D

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
also in trashy areas it will help to turn recovery / fast on as the machine will recover alot faster between close targets.

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Here is a story you might enjoy.

My friend Jim has the Explorer I and as some of the places we hunt (where the targets are all deep 6"+) he has been killing my friend Rick and I. Rick uses a White's DFX and I use the GTI 1500.

In 6 trips to this field this year, Jim has found over 200 wheat pennies, over 30 silver coins, a buffalo nickel, an indianhead, and a 10K gold ring. Besides the 10K Ring (3" deep), all the coins were found at depths ranging from 6-10" deep.

The GTI 1500 has gotten me about a dozen wheats, a liberty nickel, 2 buffalos, a silver war nickel, and a 1951 Washington Quarter. All of these finds were 6-7" deep. I could not get any deeper than that.

Rick, using his DFX, for some reason (even though he has found coins 6-8" deep with it), did not find even a wheat penny in this field. We all found shallow clad too, but the topic I am referring to is depth.

Rick was real pissed. He owned the XLT about 5 years ago and was looking to upgrade. He read all kinds of propaganda (as he calls it) about how deep the DFX could go. He was looking into either the DFX or a Explorer. Needless to say, he sold the XLT and upgraded to the DFX. He has found over 30,000 coins in the last 5 years with the DFX. He has been pleased with it, until about a month ago, and still persists that its the best machine on the market for 5-6" deep and shallower. However, he kept the DFX and just purchased a Minelab Explorer II about 2 weeks ago. He recieved it in the mail on a Friday and field tested it for about an hour on Sunday. That Monday, (3 days after receiving it and his first official hunt with it), we went back for the 7th time this year to this field (its an old fairgrounds).

Jim found over 40 wheat pennies, another buffalo, and 5 silver dimes with the explorer I.
I found a few wheats and another liberty nickel.

Rick, in his first time out with the Explorer II and after finding nothing old there in 6 trips this year......................................................dug 22 wheats, 2 silver dimes, and a buffalo nickel. Now, if that doesn't impress you on the capabilities of that machine, I don't know what will. It was truly amazing to see him finding deep coins on his first hunt. I assure you minelab owners that I too will be buying one as soon as money permits me to. My Garrett has suited me just fine for 2 or 3 years and is an excellent machine with many great features, but I know its limits. It is NOT a deep seeking machine. However, the explorer is a deep seeking machine and I think that every treasure hunter should have more than one machine, perhaps deepening the arsenal for different types of hunting.

Good Luck using it. I'm sure you will be finding deeper coins than you ever did before in no time.

FYI...these guys run FAST and DEEP at the same time in order to get quick recovery. Seems to be working for them. They are digging coins up to 12" deep at another old spot we hunt.

Deerhutner24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Jim uses the standard coil and Rick use the standard coil and he also purchsed a 15 inch coil. Not sure who makes it but it is not Minelab. It big and its orange. Don't know anything else about it except that he is finding coins deep with it.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
i nearly always run in ''fast/deep'' together...it seems to give the best results.....

OP
OP
N

neu

Good info, thanks folks. I'm still trying to learn the machine, but having a great time in the process. I think i'm getting better at IDing targets by sound. I should probably find an easier place to start out with it, I'm learning it in a very trashy area, a place with tons of great history but it's a farm littered with metal. Going to take it on a relic hunt today if the weather will let me :)

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
I am going to chime in on that specific theory in hopes someone like Charles or Neilo can either confirm or debunk my idea on using fast and deep together. I personally have not noticed any amazing gain by using both together. I use deep at older sites and fast at trashy sites and my reasons are this. I would expect all the manufacturers probably set machines without this option to a point where the recovery is deep enough to be acceptable without being too slow so the machine is annoying. I believe this because there would be only so much in the form of processor resources for any machine to use toward either of these goals. I can see a company as smart as Minelab offereing deep and fast as options to utilize the available processing power more toward one or the other as desired. In other words shifting the curve from being acceptable on both to stronger in one or the other. Seems like a smart ability to add. It doesn't make sense to me that they would have the machine run less than it is capable and by checking both be stronger at both. Seems it should in theory cancel it out as it would if neither were selected. I am going to try to email ML on this as they are the ones who can give the true answer. I would definately appreciate opinions based on personal experience or understanding.

Congrats on the machine Alan!

Deerhunter, the 15 orange coil is made by Coiltek (SP?) If you dig around the site, there are many references to it and how well it works. You couldn't get mine from me without shooting me first, excellent coil.

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
Visionquest said:
I am going to chime in on that specific theory in hopes someone like Charles or Neilo can either confirm or debunk my idea on using fast and deep together. I personally have not noticed any amazing gain by using both together. I use deep at older sites and fast at trashy sites and my reasons are this. I would expect all the manufacturers probably set machines without this option to a point where the recovery is deep enough to be acceptable without being too slow so the machine is annoying. I believe this because there would be only so much in the form of processor resources for any machine to use toward either of these goals. I can see a company as smart as Minelab offereing deep and fast as options to utilize the available processing power more toward one or the other as desired. In other words shifting the curve from being acceptable on both to stronger in one or the other. Seems like a smart ability to add. It doesn't make sense to me that they would have the machine run less than it is capable and by checking both be stronger at both. Seems it should in theory cancel it out as it would if neither were selected. I am going to try to email ML on this as they are the ones who can give the true answer. I would definately appreciate opinions based on personal experience or understanding.

Congrats on the machine Alan!

Deerhunter, the 15 orange coil is made by Coiltek (SP?) If you dig around the site, there are many references to it and how well it works. You couldn't get mine from me without shooting me first, excellent coil.

I use the Deep on Fast on setting also -- I have gotten used to hunting and finding coins this way, so I haven't seen any need to change. From what I hear they basically cancel each other out so it is like hunting with both of them off. Then again that is just what I hear. -- The WOT coil!! -- gotta get me one -- here is the link to the website

http://www.docsdetecting.com/coiltek/

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
I posted the deep fast question on Charles forum and he responded with a very informative answer. Well worth reading if you are an explorer nut. He knows his stuff, no question about it.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alan,

Nice choice of metal detectors, EXP II. Good luck with it. Just for inspiration, I got mine 11 days ago, Had to wait three days for a chance to test it out. Went to a school and the first thing I found was a Gold Diamond ring. I could not use another detector if I wanted too. I don,t think the EXP II will let me down. If Larry the cable guy owned Minelab their Motto/Slogan would be "Get er, done!". This is kind of like what I feel any how.

Ed Donovan

OP
OP
N

neu

Do any of you relic hunt with the Exp II? if so what kind of settings do you run? I've found a great untouched site I'm gonna start hunting soon and I don't wanna miss anything :)

- Nice find Ed! Very glad I picked the Exp II over the DFX

OP
OP
N

neu

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone. All the posts on the Explorer II have been an invaluable source of information to me, in both choosing and learning the detector.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
relic hunting i use iron mask at around -6, here it is just barely above picking up on all the iron mineralization in the soils of n.c..........also usually keep sens between 24-27.......you will not miss much and really learn about digging holes !!!!!! several people have posted problems concerning pinpointing...what type problems ? i have never had any at all...i have a thin rubber tipped 15 inch screwdriver that once i pinpoint item i will locate exact spot by sticking screwdriver into ground at pinpoint spot before digging plug...i have always hit target within a couple/few stabs...i then cut small plug around screwdriver, missing damaging/scratching target.......another thing, who makes larger coils than 15 inch for the ex2 ? gldhntr

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Hi Visionquest. I agree , FAST for rubbish filled areas but not for deep targets where a shortened signal could easily be missed.Remember really deep targets dont always give strong signals. DEEP will enhance smaller signals making them easier to hear, higher gain will also enhance smaller deep signals but will distort them and make them harder to identify if set too high. seeya Neilo ;D

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
Deerhunter24 said:
Jim uses the standard coil and Rick use the standard coil and he also purchsed a 15 inch coil. Not sure who makes it but it is not Minelab. It big and its orange. Don't know anything else about it except that he is finding coins deep with it.

It is called the WOT (Wonderful Orange Thing) :) Honest.

The ExplorerII is a great machine, very happy with mine. ::)

HH

JW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread