First time with Exc 2 1000 in fresh shallow water

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Hey guys and girls,

tomorrow is going to be my first time out with this new machine which was delivered yesterday.

I'm going to be hunting a lake known for numerous small lost gold targets, about 1-2 grams small rings etc.

What advice can you give me about the settings ?

I was thinking about using max sensitivity (or slightly decreased one), max volume.

the most important question: to hear these small deep targets, do I run it in the disk mode ? someone advised me to run in pinpoint and to dig EVERY tagret including the iron. Iron objects in the lake are not that numerous, there is much more foil etc garbage in the water.

Can a small gold object which is buried deeper in the sand give an iron signal ?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Use disc, it will eliminate iron, I have never used pinpoint. I just forgot that I keep disc on full. I think pinpoint is if you want iron, and dont want to know what you are finding-obviously. Sens set as high as possible, if falsing, lower until stable while using, that varies with every type of situation while in water. Volume fairly high, and you want thresh hold to be heard, not too low, and not too high. That is where you will hear the deep targets. Slide your coil or just above bottom. If you dont slide your coil, it is hard to tell if you are at the right height. Work very tight, overlapping sweeps. To pinpoint, once you find something, wave slowly and tightly, maybe just a few inches while going forward and backward with coil, when it is just at rear center of coil, put your foot tip at the center rear of coil, move coil and put in scoop. The hot spot is the whole center from front to rear, about 3 inches wide and 10 inches long if a small object. Gold if flat and shallow will sound low, but can sound mid. Bottle caps, even though it rejects iron, bottle caps sound, and they often will null, and make a pop sound, or 2 high sounds. Practice on land. Practice with gold of different carats and sizes, and bottle caps, aluminum can parts, zinc pennies and copper pennies, quarters, nickels and aluminum cans whole. They all have different sounds, and except for the bottle caps, dig them all. The iron should null, or null and pop, and dont dig that.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunt in Disc so it will null on Iron and not Pinpoint. Why spend all that money for a Excal and hunt in all metal. Set volume as high as you can stand it. Disc set on ONE. Sensitivity can be set at 11 to 1 o'clock, but I set mine in Auto unless I am at saltwater beaches. Auto keeps it very stable.

Excal's and Sov's are different from other detectors in that when you have a threshold and run it over Iron, it not only nulls, the threshold comes back at a different tone. DON'T WORRY ABOUT THIS, IT'S NORMAL. If it bothers you wave the coil near you scoop to bring it back to what you set the threshold at. Even with the threshold outta whack, it will still sound off on targets. Learn what the sounds are like by waving the coil over sample targets like coins, rings, bottle caps, etc. Notice how it acts on a gold ring and foil too.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Sandman says, hunt in descrimination, iron will null, a null will be when you lose the threshold (goes quiet) then returns when you pass the target, if you get a null from one direction but a signal from another direction dig it.... Dig anything that gives you a solid signal in multiple directions, listen for the low growls especially, a lot of gold gives a low tone....

Dont set descriminate pass 1, you start descriminating out other metals and you will miss a lot of gold..... A lot of gold sounds like aluminum foil or poptops due to the base metals mixed with the gold.....

Good luck and good hunting......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread