Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok I just did my test I told you I was going to do. My ground is pretty moist, not sloppy wet, but very moist. I used a modified coin program, auto +3 sensitivity. I did not swing over target again and again then write down a number. I swung left over target and recorded the numbers, then back right over the target and recorded the number. so it was left, right, left, right. I tested it over 3 different coins, all buried at a MEASURED 7.5 inches. Coins were all placed on large plastic plates 2.5 yrs ago to keep coins flat and also to keep them from sinking.

I tested a clad quarter, a silver dime and a 1940's wheat. Here is what I got

deep off, fast on:
quarter 11-46, 11-46, 12-46, 10-47
silver dime 13-44, 17-43, 14-46, 15-45
wheat 09-44, 13-43, 10-43, 12-43

deep on, fast off
quarter 05-45, 10-46, 11-46, 09-46
silver dime 06-49, 16-48, 11-45, 10-43
wheat 12-45, 13-45, 10-43, 16-41

both deep on AND fast on
quarter 11-47, 05-46, 03-46, 11-47
silver dime 04-45, 12-40, 01-42, 08-46
wheat 13-44, 10-43, 11-44, 12-45

now this is far from scientific testing...lol, but it looks to me like deep off and fast on produced the most stable readings. and having both fast on and deep on proced the worse readings, especially on the silver dime. I thought it was odd the wheat was reading so high, but have noticed when the ground is saturated, wheats register a bit higher.

So there ya go, take it for what its worth, I will continue to use deep OFF and fast ON :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kurt-ks said:
Great test,but did you happen to try both off?--HH
oh crap..lol.........nope I did not think about turning both off. Well it is dark out now. I will do that another day!

kurt-ks

Apr 13, 2010
south central Kansas
Detector(s) used
E-Trac,F75ltd,Explorer Se,G2
:icon_thumright: No problem,I have been using both off and like it much better.Haven't done any testing like you but seems to work pretty good.Let us know how it does :)--Kurt

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't the think the e-trac is any different from Explorer on Deep On/Off, my understanding of Deep On is that it only enchances the audio signal of a deeper target, should not have anything to do with ID :icon_scratch: :dontknow: With Deep Off, a deeper target will result in weaker signal.
I have hunted with Deep On and Fast Off ever since I got my first Minelab in 2000. (Explorer XS and SE Pro)

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don in SJ said:
I don't the think the e-trac is any different from Explorer on Deep On/Off, my understanding of Deep On is that it only enchances the audio signal of a deeper target, should not have anything to do with ID :icon_scratch: :dontknow: With Deep Off, a deeper target will result in weaker signal.
I have hunted with Deep On and Fast Off ever since I got my first Minelab in 2000. (Explorer XS and SE Pro)
And I as well Don.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
I don't do "technical..but have always been told/read that you NEVER have both "on". I'd guess that works for never having both "off" too? They're there for a reason after all.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
First and foremost, repeatability of consistent tone(s) is what I listen for from one target to another. At my turf sites (trashy, aluminum-filled turn of the century parks), I have always hunted in Conductive sounds, and prefer FAST and DEEP both off.

By looking at your results, Terry, I still would have dug every one of those coins because their conductive readings were pretty much consistent (40's), and would give a consistent, fluty (two or three closely pitched tones) response. I have tried using the FAST and DEEP filters on my machine in the past. Yes, I found deep coins/relics utilizing either one of the filters. I have never hunted with both ON. The reason I stopped using FAST ON was that I started noticing that really deep targets were giving a very tiny "chirp" response, very similar to deep iron, with the FAST filter. FAST ON will clip the response of a deeper target, making it very difficult to interpret, at least for me it does. Your results of "FAST ON" really surprised me. Theoretically, FAST ON is supposed to produce less accurate(more varied) target ID readings because more processing power is diverted to target response rather than target display. I believe that is stated in ML's documentation. I'm certain 9" targets will be more erratic with FAST ON. 7.5 inch targets are still an "easy" depth for the E-Tracs/Explorers. Since I do hunt in trashy turf, you would think it would be to my advantage to hunt with FAST ON, but I have learned to just slow my coil down much more in these zones, and I can pick out many targets that I would have missed if I had swung my coil faster through the area. I also prefer the much fuller (more analog) sound on deeper targets with FAST OFF. Slow down to a snail's pace and you'll be amazed what you'll hear.

As for DEEP ON, I have long switched this filter off also. I just couldn't get used to the noticeable delay in target response, especially in heavy trash areas with DEEP on. On my SE, the delay is just long enough to give me trouble in immediately hearing a deeper target as soon as I pass my coil over it. It's like I hear the signal long after my coil has passed over it, and with two or three co-located targets in the ground, it gets real cumbersome. I know I've read ML's documentation before regarding the DEEP ON filter, and I can understand why there is a slight delay. It's because more data is being analyzed by the machine's processor to produce more accurate target ID's, thus slightly degrading the machine's target response time from target to target. I have also tested DEEP ON and DEEP OFF on the same "deepie" target. If one is using a high amount of gain (8 or higher on the Explorers), there is no noticeable difference(at least I can't tell) in the target's increased volume/gain in your ear when using this filter on those whisper signals.

I imagine that with the faster processor of the E-Trac, this delay may not even be noticeable. :dontknow: I haven't extensively tested this on the E.

Appreciate your test.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my Etrac and all information is helpful at this point in learning the machine. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread