whats the major differenses between the E-Trac , Explorer SE Pro and the Safari

MrPoptop

Jan 3, 2011
Cowlitz County, Washington
Detector(s) used
2 AT Pros and a BH Tracker 4
Really interested here. I met a guy at a park that pulled 4 gold with E Trac.
He siad was basically same as Safari and would reomend Safari over E-Trac for a guy new to mine lab.
Also I have a buddy who has the explorer se pro, he seems to struggle with it.
Any all input would help...
P.S. My wife is dead set on an E-Trac...........

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never owned the Safari but the major difference between the SE and E-Trac, at least for me, was stability. Stability equals more usable depth. It also seemed to be better balanced . My back hurt after running the SE Pro for an hour. I can run the E-Trac all day.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger said:
I've never owned the Safari but the major difference between the SE and E-Trac, at least for me, was stability. Stability equals more usable depth. It also seemed to be better balanced . My back hurt after running the SE Pro for an hour. I can run the E-Trac all day.

I'm sure I've seen you post before about a stability issues on an Explorer and I'll say it again, it sounds like you had a subtle problem you weren't aware of. All my detectors have been rock solid except for the times they had problems which was everything from a bad battery, to several coils, to electronic issues, to just a glitch that was very tough to break the detector free of.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is my understanding the Safari is basically about the same as the Etrac and Explorer, with less menu, and programing options.....

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
with Etrac you will loose less money on resale, with safary most. they are basically the same, but my suggestion for you is etrac, but I use old explorer. god luck

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
stasys said:
with Etrac you will loose less money on resale, with safary most. they are basically the same, but my suggestion for you is etrac, but I use old explorer. god luck
I think the Safari does not loose that much on resale ..... they have a good resale price..........

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The E-Trac and Safari are a world apart from each other. They have the same manufacturer and same basic operation principle but after that it's all different. The E-Trac's signal analysis is what makes it so different, above just the amount of user options.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The safari has no ferrous sounds. Which I use around old cellar holes and love. Really picks through the iron. Not so good in parks cause aluminum sounds too good in ferrous mode. Depends on how you use the detector the most. I hunt only old sites and could not live without ferrous :wink:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just like the man in the park told you .... They are all basically the same detector..... Don't let some on here fool you...... The big difference in them is the price you pay........... A little more bells and whistles........All get the same depth.........

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Keppy said:
Just like the man in the park told you .... They are all basically the same detector..... Don't let some on here fool you...... The big difference in them is the price you pay........... A little more bells and whistles........All get the same depth.........
From explorer and etrac exist different and huge , its much more faster then Explorer, if you like discrimination patterns and VDi numbers but without discrimination they are very very similar, but not the same, dont know which is better, Safari is missing allot from the both, but works the same and with the same boards like explorer except different Safari program.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
If you go to Minelab's website, you can download the manuals (and study them for what's same & what isn't). Best wishes, George (MN)

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are all basically the same detector..... Don't let some on here fool you...... The big difference in them is the price you pay........... A little more bells and whistles........All get the same depth.........

WRONG!

Why would you mislead someone like that? You just enjoy giving people bad information?

First off it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that even if one of the detectors had a manual ground balance and the others didn't you couldn't, responsibly, claim they all get the same depth. Whether you believe it or not features do often equate to better depth. A faster processor can, and will, respond better to good targets close to trash and give a more reliable ID. That can result in more depth if the coin gets pasts because of masking. Depth is relative to conditions, and more features give you the ability to improve performance in more conditions.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Digger said:
They are all basically the same detector..... Don't let some on here fool you...... The big difference in them is the price you pay........... A little more bells and whistles........All get the same depth.........

WRONG!

Why would you mislead someone like that? You just enjoy giving people bad information?

First off it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that even if one of the detectors had a manual ground balance and the others didn't you couldn't, responsibly, claim they all get the same depth. Whether you believe it or not features do often equate to better depth. A faster processor can, and will, respond better to good targets close to trash and give a more reliable ID. That can result in more depth if the coin gets pasts because of masking. Depth is relative to conditions, and more features give you the ability to improve performance in more conditions.
I am sorry but all the Explores and the E-Trac is just a Explorer get the same depth..... And the more bells & whistles does not give you more depth.......... It is not WRONG info.............

dnuggett

Greenie
Dec 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
Digger said:

WRONG!

I am sorry but all the Explores and the E-Trac is just a Explorer get the same depth..... And the more bells & whistles does not give you more depth.......... It is not WRONG info.............

Recovery speeds the same? Software and programming?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
dnuggett said:
Keppy said:
Digger said:

WRONG!

Recovery speeds the same? Software and programming?
With all that = same depth......

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: whats the major differen between the E-Trac , Explorer SE Pro and the Safari

First off the Minelab engineers themselves said the E-Trac is not an Explorer. If anything, it is more closer to the Quatro design, but is a new design." Second, You would need to believe features such as adjusting Ground Difficulty, Deep On or Off, Manual Noise Cancel do nothing to think all these detectors have the same depth. Or that being able to run custom programs to optimize performance in tough conditions like TTF gives no benefit to believe that. Very simple minded in my opinion. Even have a simple volume control can add depth in the right conditions.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Keppy said:
But they all get the same depth..........
Yes its 100% true because they are all on the same old explorer FBS basis, but depth is not all.
Dont want to believe that Etrac is not improved explorer, because except faster processor, bigger screen, better control panel case for boards, its not have anything better or new then 1999 old Explorer. I would say Etrac is very poor product for innovations compared with any S,XS explorers when it came to marked in 1999. in the rest 2,SE,SE Pro explorers everything the same. 3 tones and 4 tones on Etrac is cheap solution for something new.
Now I use Etrac or any Explorer and except fastness I dint found anything better or new in Etrac. Menu is the same and it not give anything better or special then in all Explorers.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: whats the major differen between the E-Trac , Explorer SE Pro and the Safari

Digger said:
First off the Minelab engineers themselves said the E-Trac is not an Explorer. If anything, it is more closer to the Quatro design, but is a new design." Second, You would need to believe features such as adjusting Ground Difficulty, Deep On or Off, Manual Noise Cancel do nothing to think all these detectors have the same depth. Or that being able to run custom programs to optimize performance in tough conditions like TTF gives no benefit to believe that. Very simple minded in my opinion. Even have a simple volume control can add depth in the right conditions.
Those minelab engineers work for Minelab and they sure are going to push there new product..... They want to sell the high price product . So you believe every thing that company rep's tell you........ You live in a dream world.. But as long as you are happy with you detector and it does what you think it does that's all that matters.......... Let's see.. All Explorer's & E-Trac all = same depth.....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
stasys said:
Keppy said:
But they all get the same depth..........
Yes its 100% true because they are all on the same old explorer FBS basis, but depth is not all.
Dont want to believe that Etrac is not improved explorer, because except faster processor, bigger screen, better control panel case for boards, its not have anything better or new then 1999 old Explorer. I would say Etrac is very poor product for innovations compared with any S,XS explorers when it came to marked in 1999. in the rest 2,SE,SE Pro explorers everything the same. 3 tones and 4 tones on Etrac is cheap solution for something new.
Now I use Etrac or any Explorer and except fastness I dint found anything better or new in Etrac. Menu is the same and it not give anything better or special then in all Explorers.
stasys....... Is right on this..... I don't agree with stasys to many times.... But i will say stasys does know his Explores & The E-Trac .........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread