Age old Dilemma

Gunner424

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2011
Finger Lakes
Detector(s) used
Still Deciding ?
After reading many messages of this brand and that brand, I'll admit I'm stifled ? I have been out of the hobby for 20 years and first owned a Garrett. I have done my research yet still have no positive influence on which brand to make as a first Pro purchase. I have hunted over 20 years ago with cheap detectors and now that I have a little more income for a relaxing hobby, I am still undecided. My choices are between the Whites DFX and the Mine lab Sovereign GT. I primarily wish to hunt coins and rings in Upstate NY. I do not get to the local beaches that often and the State Parks in Upstate NY I believe you need permission? I have always been a respectable hunter in my day in recovering and keeping and ethical conservation to holes dug and filled. So, I ask you veterans, which detector of the two have you had more enjoyment with? Depth would be great, yet recovery also, yet I am patient and looking for the best bang for the buck... Thanks for your info !!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the DFX and SOV GT and I have had more fun with the Sov Gt mainly because I don't use a screen. The GT has the Sunray inline probe. But for someone getting back into the hobby, I think you would love the DFX because you can look at the screen before you retrieve the target and there are more adjustments to make if you feel the need to mess around. But the depth of the GT isn't everything and you would definitely need a sniper coil.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well ... Welcome to Tnet...... but i hunted with a Minelab since 1992 and longer with a Garrett.......... If you are in real good shape then the minelabs are the best ......... But at my age swinging a Sovereign for more than a hour or two is not easy they are a bit heavy... I got the new Garrett AT Pro but even with the gizmo it just seems off balance to me............... I am thinking at this time going with a Tesoro or Teknetics........ They are good detectors and light and you can swing them all day I have a Garrett GTI 1500 and like it more than the AT Pro.....................For my GTI 1500 seems lighter to me than the AT PRO the reason is it is better balanced.............................. But every one likes there brand so you will get a lot of different detector names put your way............. They are like cars if you like chevy or ford or ect what ever you drive is the best one ............................. It is the same way with detectors ....................... If they use a whites it will be best a Minelab it will be best Tesoro it will be best A Garrett you get the point....................

OP
OP
Gunner424

Gunner424

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2011
Finger Lakes
Detector(s) used
Still Deciding ?
Thanks, Sandman.. Display is no biggie. My ears are well trained from playing in metal bands for so many years, lol.. Good tone I can pick out. Yet I welcome your input. I'm not one for bells and whistles, just targets and dig. If you feel the DFX is one that I can't go wrong with, I'll lean towards that then. Learning curves are no biggie for me, I pick up fairly quick. Is the stock coil good enough or should I invest in a 3rd party brand. Just would like to do it right the first time around again. No. I can't afford the real high end detectors over $1200.00. Just one that will get me going again as I have a feeling there may be some good finds in my area as I have not see a lot of avid Treasure hunters in the area as I did 20 years ago.. Time to pick up where they left off. Thanks

OP
OP
Gunner424

Gunner424

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2011
Finger Lakes
Detector(s) used
Still Deciding ?
Thanks for the input Keppy, I value your input as I've seen many of your well thought out posts and knowledge. I'll take a look at those brands and see what they offer. Thanks again...

OP
OP
Gunner424

Gunner424

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2011
Finger Lakes
Detector(s) used
Still Deciding ?
There are not a lot of dealers in the area to try out many brands. I would have to take a trip to either Syracuse or Rochester and will have to look up what detectors are offered. Some may deal with the more sell-able brands and some not.. Will look into that. If anyone is nearby those cities and can recommend a good dealer let me know. I'm about an hour from each city here. Thanks all.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Gunner424 said:
There are not a lot of dealers in the area to try out many brands. I would have to take a trip to either Syracuse or Rochester and will have to look up what detectors are offered. Some may deal with the more sell-able brands and some not.. Will look into that. If anyone is nearby those cities and can recommend a good dealer let me know. I'm about an hour from each city here. Thanks all.
Well yes that is the best idea see a local dealer and test them out............ See what you think of the different ones....................... Good luck to you........... HH

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Tesoros NO-they are to simple-not deep and not even close to minelabs-had Cibola-Disasterand Tejon not big disaster and for relicks good, but for coins no, Whites DFX to complicated and makes job less effective like any minelab for coins.With DFX you can read and read manual and never be sure if detectors works on max, but dont spend much time--half of my life--- to understand it. if you cant afford new etrac buy any used explorer, they cost from 300-700$ used. use for a vile and decide what to do next. for the money in the marked no other detector that can beat explorer. sovereign and explorer very similar, but explorer a bit more technologically advanced-I dont talk about explorer screen and not needed programs. :hello:

OP
OP
Gunner424

Gunner424

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2011
Finger Lakes
Detector(s) used
Still Deciding ?
Thanks stasys. I am going to have to look into the Explorer series and..well, more research. Yet that is why I am here to find a detector that feels right and to make a good investment on a budget.
I appreciate all the input and hope to decide soon, yet not in haste. It's been over 20 years, so what's a few more months, lol.. Just hope no one beats me to my spots first !!! I have got to find a local dealer real soon, I'll be looking them up tonight and hopefully not to far away. I'd hate to buy a machine from outta state and after a week or so may feel it's not the one for me. Thanks all..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you good with computers? The DFX, Explorer, and ETrac are all going to be complicated if your not comfortable with computers or are computer challanged, as they all have elaborate programings.... The Minelab Safari is a strip down version, less programs to play with so you might look into it....... The Sovereign GT is a great machine, I own 2 myself, as well as I just picked up a used Safari..... I haven't taken it hunting yet, but have played with it in my yard several times to become more comfortable with it, the good thing is has both screen and tones, I am not a big screen person, I am more into the tones.....

There is a barely used Safari for sale on the treasure related for sale board now for $650 or best offer....That is $400+/- off the regular price if your interested.... I don't expect it to be there long.....

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here,s my 2cents. I started with the XLT, Had stability issues. I have a SE Pro that I,m still learning. Not too fond of the pinball machine noises it makes. My main machine is the Sov.GT. I like to trust what I hear and not 2nd guess with a screen. The depth is excellent with the stock coil. I also use the 8" tornado and don't see a noticeable loss of depth. What I really like about this machine is the way it locks onto its target. Works the same for relic or beach, salt or fresh. I hunt the water with its big sister the excaliber. The finds speak for themselves. HH Kevin

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Older topic, but I'll throw in my two cents. I've had a DFX, Explorer SE, Quattro, and Sovereign. I like the Quattro and SE, but they just seem to balance funny for me. Could be because I'm short. A bungee setup helps. It also takes getting used to the tones. Sounds like a beginning band warming up. Without trying to start a brand vs brand thing here, the Minelabs are much easier to get good results out of in my opinion.

I much prefer the MXT over the DFX. Granted, I really didn't invest a great deal of time into the DFX. I don't mind a learning curve, but I do want to hunt and not spend a lot of time playing with settings.

I don't have a GT, but the XS-2 Pro. I have the box mounted under the elbow and put a Coiltek Joey on it and balance issues are a thing of the past. I can tell more from the tones than I can from the VID numbers on other detectors. If you really need them you can always put a meter on it. The Joey is comparable to the stock 10", but much lighter and better separation.

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
GTI2500, GTAX550, MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO,
PROPOINTER, GARRETT AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gunner424.. the dfx will cost you about 1100.00 to 1200.00 dollars as you said you cant afford that price range

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gunner424 If you can try to look at a Tesoro brand ! They are really good machines and you can get one for half the cost of most.
These go deep and will find anything you are going to look for .
And they have the best warranty there is on a metal detector .

OP
OP
Gunner424

Gunner424

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2011
Finger Lakes
Detector(s) used
Still Deciding ?
Well, My gut instinct is saying the Sovereign GT... I will be ordering one in a few weeks and I really appreciate all of your input of brands and the pro's and con's. I will report back once I get a handle on it and maybe some nice finds. I do have to ask a recommendation on earphone brands? In the respect of the frequencies to pick up those tones. Thanks again all who responded.

GOLD1960

May 10, 2006
BURNSVILLE,MN
Minelab over DFX :hello2:

Attachments

• safari_display.jpg
    safari_display.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 283
  • safari_display.jpg
    safari_display.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 269

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never used the Whites DFX, but I own a couple Sovereign GTs...The Sov GT is a really good detector and there are no programs to learn, it has no screen, every thing is tones..... IMO it is the best beach machine if your not going in the water, and would be the best water detector if it was waterproof..... I have used it a lot on the land in the past and found it to be very deep, deeper than I actually like to dig on land.....

The Safari is also a great machine, I just picked one up recently and although have only been out with it twice to land hunt I am very impressed with it.... It replaced the Quattro with updated and faster processor, faster response time, to my understanding it is basically an ETrac with fewer programs to learn and it still uses tones for identification as well as what the screen tells you.... You may want to read up on it as well before you make your purchase.....

Having never used the DFX I can't say anything one way or the other on it.....

OP
OP
Gunner424

Gunner424

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2011
Finger Lakes
Detector(s) used
Still Deciding ?
We'll I have decided on the Minelab Safari... I admit I have been out of the loop over 17 years... As much as I would love to try the E-Trac, finances just don't cut it now.. Just want to get back in the hobby and have some fun exploring and maybe some ching !!! I started out with a used yard sale Mustang detector (maybe 84'?) then went to a Garrett back in 95' can't remember the model. Age, sigh..
Yet a shout out to Mike at Woodland Detectors.. You'll be getting a call soon from me do to your rep, that I feel comfortable ordering from ya from all the positive posts on this forum !!! Thanks all.. Yet, could Minelab come out w/ a new Detector this year? Nah.... Just kidding.... The more I wait the less I find !!!! Good Luck all.. Thanks E'

renogeoff

Jan 27, 2010
Carson City NV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EuroTek Pro/Explorer II/Safari/ACE 250,Classic IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gunner, update us on how you like the Safari. I just ordered one and would like to here some feedback on it's use.
Good luck, and HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread