CAN I USE A STEEL OR STAINLESS STEEL BOLT AND WINGNUT .....

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.....On my Musky.....I was always told to use a Plastic Bolt and Wingnut.....BUT i just acquired a Musky Colt and it came in with either a Steel Bolt or it may be a Stainless Steel bolt.....playing with it ....it is getting really good depth even with this Bolt.......Should I replace it.....or is the negative effect not worth messing with??......I live in a small town and I have had trouble also on finding a plastic bolt that would fit any of the Minelab Detectors...............Thanks.........Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the coils field extends upward as well as downward a metal bolt would change the field. Nylon bolts can be found at most hardware stores and all the detector manufacturers sell them too. Most will just ship you one for free. You can also go online to order one.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Home depot sells the white Nylon or Teflon bolts that work fine. I would remove the metal screw near the coil, just because of obvious reasons. If you cannot find one, I will send you one like Sandman had said.

OP
OP
J

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
......Since I posted this thread....I read elsewhere that the Nylon Bolts used for attaching the Toilet Seat to the Commode should work.....I did not look in the Plumbing/toilet supplies area in my local hardware store.....I will look again tomarrow morning....Thanks ....Joe

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The toilet seat bolts, fit my Garrett, not my minelab.

I found nylon/teflon bolts at hobby store. Great selection, used on the models planes and such.
The guy at my home depot had no idea what plastic screws/nuts were? :icon_scratch:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in a pinch yes you could

Early Detectors used Stainless.

It works because the Bolt moves in Unison
not against the field of swing.

However odds are it is one of the reasons
Newer detectors are a Slight bit more Sensitive.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really all depends on the design of the detector. Using a steel bolt will certainly change the EM field being sent and recieved by the coil. It may be enough to force the bias point of the circuit out of the operational range. But for many detectors this won't be an issue. For example, it may cause problems in a non-motion all metal mode but not cause any problems in motion descrimination mode. You'll just have to try it and see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread