Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barely used & The Shielding at the Plug
already Cracked. Had to tape it for support.

also noticed Ear pad Covering Falling apart.

I Know Koss has a Lifetime Warranty but
you need to include a check for $6.00.

If they last another Month after repair,
that's another $6.00 & more time down :(

Is this a Regular occurance with the UR-30's ?

anyone elses go bad so Quickly ?

or just Me ?

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Most people in Europe and Uk never even take those phones out of the plastic bag!
We generally just buy a set of Grey Ghosts or other good make. :icon_thumright:

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to repair the plug on mine after I had used them for about a year. They work fine now, but I bought a pair of Gray Ghost Ultimates that are my regular headphones now. The Koss are backup or loaners now. I haven't seen the earmuff failure.

Magnum164

Greenie
May 19, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-track
I just got my Etrac but as a computer gammer/programmer I have used a lot of head phones and I know these will not last long if used a lot. But since I will use my Etrac very little (probably at least once a month), they should last me a while.

fwcrawford

Jan 7, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50, Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign GT
I have some that I use on my Sovereign and X-Terra 50 and have not had any issues with them so far.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same thing happened to two pair of mine, so I figured why get a third pair, I got a pair of liberty headphones from Mike Haer, in Lancaster Ohio, he builds them and they are simply amazing, best quality I have ever used. he owns M T Detector sales.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Yes they are tend to broke--quality not for lifetime--sistemic failure. BUT I AM LOOKING FOR ONE BROKEN :notworthy: for my project! if anybody have broken need just dynamics. Thanks Stasys

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used Koss over the years and I have had some sets that worked really well and lasted and one is still being used .
And I have had and do have a few sets of Koss that did not last hardly anytime . One set broke on the first use as the band broke while on my head . I have had sets that the wires came apart inside of the wire cover or speakers started putting out a crackling sound and would not work no matter what I did to try to repair the set.

It must have something to do with where they are made or something as to how well they are put together .

But like most as soon as I can afford to get a better set , that is what I do and I buy ones made for metal detecting as they seem to last the longest and work out being cheaper to buy in the long run. But I watch what I buy as I think most of the sets made for metal detecting are priced way to high for what they are.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Replacing the TSR 1/4 " connector is simple. Any competent electronics geek like myself could do it in your sleep. A few tips, replace with a 90 Deg. plug (my preference), don,t worry about getting the right and left correct, use heat shrink on the L + R wires, build up the wire with heat shrink if it is not snug in the connector.

As the connector is 2 to 4 $ $6 buck for the repair is not all that bad.

Ed D.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Replacing the TSR 1/4 " connector is simple. Any competent electronics geek like myself could do it in your sleep. A few tips, replace with a 90 Deg. plug (my preference), don,t worry about getting the right and left correct, use heat shrink on the L + R wires, build up the wire with heat shrink if it is not snug in the connector.

As the connector is 2 to 4 $ $6 buck for the repair is not all that bad.

Ed D.

actually those phones are not worth repairing.

No Volume controls, & Very weak sound.

electronics geek's ? Around here ? not since the Computer age, nobody will touch my Troys :(
I even tried a Computer shop & got a :dontknow: TV repair Shop same thing :dontknow:
Everything is Replace a Card , or buy a new one. Troy never responded either

Last edited:

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked the Koss headphones. I thought the sound was good. I abused them for 2 years before I got tired of them falling off my head. I didn't like the grey ghosts because they were too tight on my fat head. I found a set of garet headphones that fit good but I didn't think the sound was as good. Now I use a set of ear buds with the wireless module on the ctx 3030. The sound sucks but it's hot and the ear buds let my head breath. The sucky sound hasn't hurt my finds any, either.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked the Koss headphones. I thought the sound was good. I abused them for 2 years before I got tired of them falling off my head. I didn't like the grey ghosts because they were too tight on my fat head. I found a set of garet headphones that fit good but I didn't think the sound was as good. Now I use a set of ear buds with the wireless module on the ctx 3030. The sound sucks but it's hot and the ear buds let my head breath. The sucky sound hasn't hurt my finds any, either.

I have a pair of KOSS From '99 from Kellyco when I got my Sovereign.
the Ear pads are Shot, And they lay on my ears, not around.
So during long Hot hunts,
My ears get sore, But thy have volume controls, so, the sound is OK so I am using them again
between my Troy's & my new pair when they arrive.

Years ago ( 1970's, 1980's ? ) I got a pair with my Whites 6000. I don't remember their names
if it pops in my Head I'll edit this.

all I remember is they took a 1.5 v Size N specialty battery ,
& were very loud. No idea if they could handle Multi tones though.

I may have to Risk buying one of These :(

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/index.php?model=801-uga

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My UR-30's are a couple of years old now and still work ok. No problem with the plug yet but the ear pads are starting to come apart and one of the rivets that holds the head strap came loose about a year ago. I now use them as backups as I bought the UniProbe headphone/pin pointer setup.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread