X-Terra 50 jumping all over?

Shark27

Aug 5, 2010
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50 & Garrett Pro Pointer
Recently my X-terra 50 started jumping all over the place, I guess you could call it chatter or noise but it goes from 33 to 36 to 39 nonstop for about a minute to two then it calms down. I have to really reduce my sensitivity setting and sometimes that doesn'it help. I usually have to turn it off and on until it quiets down. I have it ground balanced so I'm starting to wonder if it's internal. Anyone else have this issue or can help out?

renogeoff

Jan 27, 2010
Carson City NV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EuroTek Pro/Explorer II/Safari/ACE 250,Classic IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one that only did this at 2 different parks. One was near a fire station, maybe radio interference? :icon_scratch: I never had a problem with it anywhere else though. Maybe bad batteries.

fwcrawford

Jan 7, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50, Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign GT
I would think maybe it is some kind of electrical interference, but you stated that it calms down after turning it on and off a couple of times.
You might try to use the noise cancel function next time it acts up to see if it helps.
Does it do this while swinging the coil or holding it stationary?
Maybe the coil cable connecter at the control box has come loose.
Just a guess,
Felix

OP
OP
Shark27

Shark27

Aug 5, 2010
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50 & Garrett Pro Pointer
Thanks guys for your comments. I have had a couple of successful hunts without it acting up. I have really tried to pay more attention to the ground balance and noise cancel function as well as lowering my sensitivity in certain parks. The ground balance and noise cancel on these machines are tricky and I've learned a little more about them from reading the ebook just put out "Understanding your X-Terra"but so far this has helped. I chalking this up to user error and glad my detector is not damaged.

Shark27

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread