excal headphone cable help

xentrik1

Jan 10, 2006
Went to use my excal for the first time in quite awhile the other day, it worked great, but we I took it out of the car I noticed the plastic covering of the headphone cable was all coming apart. Sorry for the bad quality of the picture, but I think you can get the idea of whats happened from it. I talked to Minelab and they said it would be like $250 dollars to fix. I have seen some other people did the grey ghost headphone mod and putting an ikelite connection, but even though my excal is out of warantee I'm still worried I might get some water in it and fry the whole thing. I don't fully submerge it I usually just hunt the surfline.

Can anyone offer any suggestions the best way to go about fixing this problem? Out of the options I've seen so far it seems the ikelite connection might be the easiest way to go. Is it truly waterproof?

Also is it safe to use these at the beach not in the water as they are now. I'm thinking they are not.

Thanks for any suggestions

Attachments

• IMAG01232.jpg
    IMAG01232.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 188

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter can help you as he has done this stuff before.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

Here is a mod I did on my Excal, the cable work would be the same, it has held up for me perfectly and I have no wear and tear on it at all yet...Below is what I would do if it was mine, and from my experience in the past with liquid tape and plasti-dip, I would feel very confident it would work and be waterproof....

At this point I put heat shring tubing over the wires and then sealed it with liquid tape. Since you can't cover yours with heat shrink, if it was me I would use something for a strength member, a cut piece of tiewrap works, wrap it with electricial tape, then add a piece of insulation cut off a outdoor electricial cord, cover it with liquid tape, after it dries wrap it tight with electricial tab again to cover the repair area and at least a inch past it on both ends, then spray it with plasti-dip. I would use at least 5 coats. the plasti-dip is waterproof and hols up very well.....Make sure it is dry between each coat.....

Just check it ever so often for any wear....

You could also splice a new piece of cable in the middle if you wanted, then you could use the heat shrink, if that is what you want to do IM me and I will send you pictures of the splicing...

I Covered The Splice With Insulation Cut Off An Old Piece of Extension Cable, Then Added 2 Layers Of Heat Shrink With Strength Members Between the 2 Layers
DSCF2458-1.jpg

Splice After The Final Coat Of Plasti-Dip......(Total Of 5 Spray On Coats)
DSCF2465-1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread