property stakes with exp 2,need advice

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I have used my exp2 for over 3 years and have never been called upon to locate a property marker,well the call came tonight and I was at a loss. I am guessing I need to hunt with iron mask turned off? Or maybe I should set up a pattern with only iron coming through? Im not even sure what numbers I will be looking for maybe bottle cap or nail readings? Anyone with any experience locating these things i would appreciate the help. I would really like to find this stake because it will open up some nice hunting area for me,in addition I have some at my home that I need to locate so I can put up a fence,thanks alot...Shoot

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your looking for Iron right? Turn off Iron mask. Hunt in all metal or at least ZERO disc and forget the numbers but they will be low on new iron, but these iron stakes and monuments will have a halo effect and read larger. Many times they are quite deep too. You might have wire fencing at the corners too. Surveyors use a special iron locator which finds these items. Good luck, the poison ivy at property lines is thick.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As for locating the stakes with the Explorer 2, I have no idea... As Sandman said, turn off the descriminate and look fo the ig iron signals. Iron rusts and will leave a halo if its old.

But to hopefully give you an idea of where to start looking, check out the local Geographic Information Survey (GIS) for an idea of property bounderies.
In your internet search engine, type in your local county/parrish name followed by GIS. You should get a hit for a site with the GIS information. It may be associated with the local tax office. From the site you should be able to locate the property and see an overlay of the property lines, often times these sites have aerial photographs that you can blend with the maps that will indicate trees and other landmarks on the property. They will not be exact, but you should be able to get an idea of where they are and where to start looking.

Hope this is a help...
Dwight

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No experience finding property markers but a ton of experience cherry picking iron relics, which is the basic skill you need here.

Conductive, Iron mask -14, gain 10, deep on, fast off, and the rest whatever you prefer. With an Ironmask of -14 your detector will still block out the small iron, maybe false a bit, but nothing that should stop you too often thinking it's the marker. Air test some iron about the same size and you'll see with this setting solid iron targets will still override the discrimination and the sound breaks through. It's also a fairly distinctive sound. The factors that come into play is the surface area of the top of the steak, especially if it's straight up and down, and how deep it is. If those factors are in your favor you will most likely get an unmistakable solid repeating sound from all angles. When I get this sound at my old sites I know it's a target worth chasing because I know it's a solid chunk, and how all my cannonballs and trade axes came in. Now if the factors are not in your favor chances are you will get a solid tone one way and not the other. Again it's a sound that you can tell is a piece of iron overriding the discrimination and worth looking into. These type signals at my old sites would be something larger than nails, probably a small to medium size relic. I tend to not chase them because the odds aren't great it's something good, but in your situation it is very possible it's what you will hear. Now if you don't find it then drop down to IM -16 (open screen) and try that way, but you'll be hearing all the metal in the ground if there is any, but might get you the extra few inches you need if you missed it because it's deep. Again, put those settings on and play around for 20 minutes in your yard and you'll see what types of targets will still break through and what kind of range you have. For several years I avoided iron completely because I thought it was an all or nothing type thing... dig it all and maybe get a relic, or leave it and not waste your time. It was only when I got a wake up call of a decent iron find right beside me did I make it my mission to learn more about how to find iron, and it wasn't that long before I started seeing how a small amount of disc. was the perfect setting to leave the small stuff behind like nails, and dig the bigger chunks. It's too bad I can not show you all this in person because this detector is absolutely killer for cherry picking iron. Other brands don't null and have the same type of disc. and obviously you still can find large iron, but you have to dig way more crap in the process. Again if I could just show someone this in person at my early sites they would be a believer.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I.P. Why not just make a video? ......NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread