Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Questions for you, how old are you, your physcal condition, hunting in the deep or wet sand..stock coil? 10 or 8

OP
OP
J

jsolo

Greenie
Jul 12, 2011
Im 50 years old pretty good shape its a 10 inch coil hunting alot of fresh water for I dont live near the ocean.Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
J

jsolo

Greenie
Jul 12, 2011
Dont you do videos?I have watched them really good stuff has helped alot of people including myself.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, that's me...I'm a excal lover...

On the shaft I think I've tried them all, long ( Florida long shaft..Balanced out, very easy to swing, good for big coils, excal stays out of the water up to about chest deep, making it a little easier to swing, less resistance) ..............med length (which is just about the same, but had problems with it hitting my back), and the under the elbow. For me I like the under the elbow, seems like I have better control of the coil, it almost feels like a extension of the arm once you have it strapped in. I just finished 2 carbon fiber shafts, one has a WOT coil on it (14 inch coil) and the other will be for the 10 and 8 inch coils. I added alittle more length to the larger coil shaft to help balance that weight out...so it sets back about 6 inch's more then under the elbow shaft. One thing I did do on both shaft was change out the lower shaft for a White's tallman lower shaft..gives me a choice (by adjustment) of a wider swing covering a wider area. It is about 10 inch's longer then the stock Minelab lower shaft.....

My opinion, if your going for the waist deep to the dry sand..10inch coil...And it sounds like your in good shape..go for the overunder, I've seen several of there shafts and they are very nice. Good Luck, let us know how this works out.
Be good to hear from some of the Florida users on the long shafts...

OP
OP
J

jsolo

Greenie
Jul 12, 2011
Going with the over and under carbon fiber and sunspot stealth scoop.Thanks for the help.

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
I found the over under Anderson shaft didnt lighten the load of the excal 2 very much. I hunt dry and the Gulf. I'm ready to try the straight shaft. Maybe I can find someone that makes one instead of buying it from a dealer.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want to balance the load go with the Long shaft.

The short shaft gives you more coil control, it's like a extension of your arm, instead of a pivot/balance point.

You should try making your own, very easy and alot cheaper. That way you can play with the balance and what works best for your strength and reach. Got enough footage to do a video on 2 carbon fiber shafts I just finished, maybe able to finish the vid in a few weeks.

OP
OP
J

jsolo

Greenie
Jul 12, 2011
Cant wait to see the video.Your videos are the reason I got the excal.I got the carbon fiber over and under
but I need a long and diver shaft and Im broke.I also got a sunspot 8 scoop.Im getting my materals now
to make a sifter.Im going to look at videos now for ideas on a sifter I have a plastic coke crate its a start.
I may use pvc or kids floating noodles.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made and use the Florida straight shaft and I love it. I have mine under the elbow set a little farther back and I like the extra reach it gives me......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions