Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am considering purchasing a salt beach machine and do not want a P. I. machine because I want to hunt trashy wet salt beaches . Thus I want some discrimination . Can a Soverign handle wet salt beaches ?? I am not talking about hunting in the waves just your average east coast low tide salt flats and beaches ! Anyone out there doing this with a soverign ???? Thanks for your help in advance !

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MaineRelic said:
I am considering purchasing a salt beach machine and do not want a P. I. machine because I want to hunt trashy wet salt beaches . Thus I want some discrimination . Can a Soverign handle wet salt beaches ?? I am not talking about hunting in the waves just your average east coast low tide salt flats and beaches ! Anyone out there doing this with a soverign ???? Thanks for your help in advance !

LOL, the Sovereign is one of, if not the best salt beach machine made....... :icon_thumright:

If you want to hunt saltwater beaches you can't go wrong with the Sov GT..........I own 2 of them, if I am not going into the water I sue my Sov GT with either the WOT coil or my SEF 15"x18" Butterfly coil.............

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sov GT is probably the best fresh or salt water beach machine made. It doesn't know the sand is even there. The Iron mask means you won't be digging any iron nails or small iron. What is really great about using the Sov GT is you can find a coin or gold ring under a nail. Other detectors can disc out the nail and when a ring is under the nail, you won't hear it either with those other detectors. You have to try this to believe it.

Attachments

• Sovereign GT.jpg
    Sovereign GT.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 427
  • Sovereign GT.jpg
    Sovereign GT.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 429

dfxone

Dec 12, 2005
ventura, ca.
Detector(s) used
whites DFX, Sovereign GT
I have to agree with Sandman, the GT is the best detector for dry and wet sand on the salt or freshwater beaches period. GH, Don

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do it :icon_thumleft: The sooner, the better

Sovgtman

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2011
There is no better machine for beach , I score many finds that others ahead of me work. I have rescanned areas with gt ... Right next to some dig holes and recover targets deeper than what was just dug ..

The gt is in my opinion much more able to custom hunt than excal .... Even when most will say it is the same machine ... It is not .

I have found settings that will run over other machines working the wet /dry areas.
I also recommend the coiltek WOT coil.
But my tornado 10" kicks ass .
I will post settings later for those interested.
The settings were heavily field tested that I developed a short beach settings guide .
The gt is the ONLY machine I will use at the beach.

The other aftermarket coil that is a dark horse to try is the sunray s-12 coil.
Stable and deep , and is sens. to small gold

Happy hunting !
:icon_thumright:

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yep I must agree, the Sov series detectors will wipe the floor with any other vlf machine on salt beaches. The GT is excellent. The only way you might get better depth is to get a decent PI unit.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adrian SS said:
Yep I must agree, the Sov series detectors will wipe the floor with any other vlf machine on salt beaches. The GT is excellent. The only way you might get better depth is to get a decent PI unit.

Get the Sov GT, then get a WOT coil or a SEF Butterfly coil, either the 12x15 inch or the 15x18", you will get amazing depth and you will not dig any iron..... :icon_thumright: I have both coils and as I said the depth is amazing....

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK...... Ya'll Are saying it works Good on the wet sand,,,, But how does it do in the shallow surf with all that salt water flowing by?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
extractor said:
OK...... Ya'll Are saying it works Good on the wet sand,,,, But how does it do in the shallow surf with all that salt water flowing by?

It is a beast in the water, I know, I have one that has been waterproofed. It is my dream that Minelab would make a waterproof version of the Sov GT, yes the Excal and Sov are alike, but the Sov GT has some really nice features the Excal does not have....

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure_Hunter said:
extractor said:

It is a beast in the water, I know, I have one that has been waterproofed. It is my dream that Minelab would make a waterproof version of the Sov GT, yes the Excal and Sov are alike, but the Sov GT has some really nice features the Excal does not have....
Hey ,,,,,,, Don't leave hanging. :dontknow: What about the nice features?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
extractor said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
extractor said:

Sov GT has a silent search feature. You set the threshold, sensitivity and volume, then you switch it to silent search, you then have no audio threshold, but whenyou pass the coil over any target it will report just as it would with the threshold. I have tested this feature for several years hunting in normal threashold and when I found a faint target I would switch it to silent search to test if the target would report, never had it fail to see even a faint target.....

Sovereign GT is very stable, has extreme depth in wet salt sand condition's, Iron Mask (on/off), manual & automatic sensitivity, two-band Noise Cancel. If I am not going into the water to hunt I use my Sovereign GT with the 15X18" SEF Butterfly coil.....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
extractor said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
extractor said:

It is a beast in the water, I know, I have one that has been waterproofed. It is my dream that Minelab would make a/ waterproof version of the Sov GT, yes the Excal and Sov are alike, but the Sov GT has some really nice features the Excal does not have....

Don't you guys read Field Tests to learn what the features are or don't you read the manufacturers reports either? :read2: http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/sovereign-gt The features of the Sov GT take to long to list here when we have hunting to do. ;D

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was going to jump in here but heck, its already been said.

Except maybe this: The Sov GT is kind of heavy, so you may want to hip or checst mount the control box.

And no kidding. Really, Do not get that control box wet. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread