Excal questions

gary s fl

Mar 21, 2005
Birmingham Alabama
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Explorer II, Excalibur, Aquasound, TDI, GB 2, Quick-triggered CZ-21, AU-21, G2, Comprade 7" & 5.5"
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm considering an Excal and have done some reading about it but still have a few questions.

-Experienced users recommend a slow sweep for best performance but would a moderate to fast swing speed cause loss of depth and/or ID capability in salt wet-sand with a lone/single non-ferrous target? (No other masking object like iron)

-Does a faster swing speed cause the Excal to false or would that depend on the amount of ground mineralization?

-What if any are the usual causes for Excal falsing?

-Is it possible to distinguish a zinc penny from clad most of the time, and what percentage of time will an Excal incorrectly ID steel bottle caps when using the proper swing speed and being experienced?

-It sounds like the Excal can give similar tones for zincs or steel bottle caps as for good targets with similar conductive properties but that the user has to interpret the quality of the tone to discern what the target is. Is this correct?

-Is there a large learning curve to be able distinguish zincs and steel bottle caps accurately most of the time?

-At times when wet-sand hunting conditions aren't optimal I would like to be able to move more quickly and cover more area, hear a target, then recheck it carefully for an accurate ID. Would an Excal work good for this type of detecting at a non-mineralized beach?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Experienced users recommend a slow sweep for best performance but would a moderate to fast swing speed cause loss of depth

Only if you hunt in Discriminate

http://www.youtube.com/user/oldbeechnut?feature=mhee

http://www.youtube.com/user/OldeBeechnut#g/u

If you want to swing fast...... switch to PP mode, (deeper on wetsand and fresh water) checking targets by switching to discrimate. My thing is to hunt in PP, targets that have narrow shape I check in discriminate. I try and dig midtones, and disruptive tones only. And regular zinc's you can tell, it is the one's that are starting to break down that I still dig because they have a disruptive tone. In time you will learn all, Bottle caps are easy to discriminate tone wise, pull tabs have a rass near the end, but will still dig most because they are so close. I try not to dig higher tones anymore....I miss silver doing this, the idea is to dig less coins, and silver..more time looking for gold. If I do dig the highers, it is to give me a target lane, and gives me a idea of where the gold might be....

OP
OP
gary s fl

gary s fl

Mar 21, 2005
Birmingham Alabama
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Explorer II, Excalibur, Aquasound, TDI, GB 2, Quick-triggered CZ-21, AU-21, G2, Comprade 7" & 5.5"
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Joe, good info and videos. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread