E-track Day 2 heavy heavy metal

thetech

Oct 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First day in the field with the e-trac, after practicing in my yard and finding a penny, do not know if my xlt cleaned the yard out or not. Decided to hit an old home site, I have found a cannon ball half back in the 80's with the coin master. Only civil war relic found there don't know if a farmer hit it with his plow some where in the area and threw it in a junk pile. Day one started out digging alot of stuff that looked good, I hit the jar lids, the rifle shells 303, the shot gun shells. Still running the basic settings, the metal content in this area is crazy, nulling out everywhere. I went back to the car and rested a bit, not satisfied. Got back up and dug three more holes, the third hole I hit was a missouri ww1 coin for service 1917-1919 war with germany, hmm sound like the solider might have also brought home a toke with him a 303 rifle. The next token I hit was a palmolive cake cake coupon, round coin you return for a free cake. Day 1 satisfied but I know there is silver in that ground. Day two, hunt, hunt, hunt, found a big smith button, still too much metal, this is where I need help, was so frustrated pulled the xlt out and second hole I got a Colorado tax token wohoo, I bettter use this detector for a while, nothing else found. Headed back out of the woods stopped at the parents house and decided to pull back out the e-trac, time to see what this is, I got a good hit was saying 10" or so, turned out two nice Wheaties 1941,1945, lots of nails in the hole. I'm impressed I had hit that area hard with the xlt. So here is my plan learn the e-trac by finding coins in the heavy metal homesite. What are your recommendations, with the factory settings i might null for 10 feet.

thanks
michael

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
my recommendation if you use manual sensitivity, keep it lower, check what etrac is suggest, its pretty accurate. after years manual sensitivity use on my explorers I learn it, but etrac shows very close. use less discrimination or TTF in iron if you dig all possible targets, and dont forget keep coil low. but if you use discrimination slow down a bit.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your doing well. In trashy areas key is to go slow.... Use auto sensitivity and let machine work for you.

fbjr

Apr 13, 2007
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty new to the e-trac as well but really like 4-tone audio, auto plus 3 sensitivity and swing low and slow. Definitely improving and feeling more confident. Picking up some really small objects at impressive depths. Also there is a pattern I downloaded from Andy Sabisch on a chat forum and have had some good luck with it. It's very similar to the coin pattern, just less discrimination.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread