excal 1000 hip mount or longer counterbalanced shaft?

hellnback732

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2011
hazlet, new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab excalibur 1000, whites dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently use a excal 1000 with a hip mount and I am very happy with it, but I have been considering switching to the longer shaft. I was wondering if anyone has tried both the hip mount and the longer shaft with the controls mounted behind the shaft(separately of course)? Which did you prefer?

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
I tried the hip mount on my Excal 2 for about 5 months. I liked the way it made the shaft and coil very light. However, one day I had a problem with the battery cable which failed to make a good connection. I was warned that hip mounting would cause cable fatigue, but I took a lot of precautions not to cause any strain on the cables. I guess my extra care didnt matter. I converted to a long shaft and have been good so far.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using the Excal 10000 with the hip mount for the past 5 years and I wouldn't hunt no other way cause it works for me and no problems. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
H

hellnback732

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2011
hazlet, new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
general said:
I tried the hip mount on my Excal 2 for about 5 months. I liked the way it made the shaft and coil very light. However, one day I had a problem with the battery cable which failed to make a good connection. I was warned that hip mounting would cause cable fatigue, but I took a lot of precautions not to cause any strain on the cables. I guess my extra care didnt matter. I converted to a long shaft and have been good so far.

It's funny you say that, I never heard of the hip mount causing problems, but . I noticed yesterday that every time swing the coil across my body and back it causes a very slight tugging on the wire that runs from the unit to the shaft. I realized that by mounting the unit on the shaft I would eliminate that. I also noticed that occasionaly when I came across my body the shaft would make slight contact with the unit, causing falseing. I was able to eliminate this by turning down my sensitivity which made me wonder if I could run a little hotter with the longer shaft.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Turning that sensitivity down will cost you depth..Video shows the difference, hunting in PP, finding a deep target then adjusting to get the best signal.....

About the shafts for the Excalibur, I have several and you almost have to build one to your needs. Long shaft for a better balanced swing ..then under the elbow pod mount for better coil control in and out of the water, also I have a couple carbon fiber shafts that I used the White's Tallman lower rods, which give me about a 10 foot wide swing covering more of the target zone once I get into the lane. Many choices but best to have one that fits your abilities and your needs. Hip mounts are good,........... as far as stress on the cables..I'm sure there is some, and more then if it was mounted on a shaft. But the best deterrent for cable problems is to wash it off after use and use a food/divers grade of silicon on the cables. Most problems with cables are due to lack of care. My preference on the shafts changes with the beach's and the style of hunting I have planned.

OP
OP
H

hellnback732

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2011
hazlet, new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for th info OBN and thanks for all your videos. I've watched all your excal. videos several times trying to pick up tips.

OBN said:
Turning that sensitivity down will cost you depth..Video shows the difference, hunting in PP, finding a deep target then adjusting to get the best signal.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5kbyNf85Uk

About the shafts for the Excalibur, I have several and you almost have to build one to your needs. Long shaft for a better balanced swing ..then under the elbow pod mount for better coil control in and out of the water, also I have a couple carbon fiber shafts that I used the White's Tallman lower rods, which give me about a 10 foot wide swing covering more of the target zone once I get into the lane. Many choices but best to have one that fits your abilities and your needs. Hip mounts are good,........... as far as stress on the cables..I'm sure there is some, and more then if it was mounted on a shaft. But the best deterrent for cable problems is to wash it off after use and use a food/divers grade of silicon on the cables. Most problems with cables are due to lack of care. My preference on the shafts changes with the beach's and the style of hunting I have planned.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Your Welcome..And I have to say you have one of the Best Shores this side of the Mississippi to hunt...Good Luck.......

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As OBN said you must try using different setups to see which you prefer. Myself I have tried hipmounts and didn't like them. Same goes for the mounting the controls under the elbow mainly because you must use the arm cuff. I have hung my Excal 1000 from my neck for years and let the cable hang free so there is no strain at all. It has worked for me for years and I like it. I do however use the extra long shaft for max swing arc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread