Sef coil on the sovereign gt

jiminsandiego

Greenie
Dec 18, 2010
I bought a 12x15 sef for my gt to cover more ground in the sand than the 10" tornado and have not used the 10" since then. I found that the coil cover would always have sand in it and that really makes it erratic. Once I took the cover off it worked a lot better. In my mineralized sand I cannot run sens very high (2:00 to 4:30) but it seems to get good depth and it sure does cover a lot more area than the 10". Pinpointing actually seems easier with the 12x15. I wish I could compare it to the WOT but I have not had the opportunity.
Cheers,
Jim

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to ask the same question , only difference is i use my sov.gt in farm fields sometimes the ocean beaches with a S-12 coil great coil , i use a sef 10x12 on my DFX best coil i have for deep targets for that machine , cant wait to get the 12x15 for the sov gt Thanks :icon_thumleft: Jim

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart@ Big Boys Hobbies said:
The stock coils work very well for the Minelab Sovereign GT. The SEF coils suffer from quality issues.

There is a difference between the original SEF and the SEF Butterfly coils now produced.... I had the original 15" SEF coil for my Sovereign, I didn't like it and I sold it. I have 2 of the SEF Butterfly coils now and love them....I know several hunters using the SEF Buterfly coils on their Sovereigns and their Excals and love them.... I have the 12X15" SEF Butterfly hard wired on one of my Excals, and I use the 15x18" SEF Butterfly coil on my Sovereign GT and again I love it as well.............

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have a 12 x 15 SEF butterfly coil on my blue sword Excal. I like it on the beach, and in calm water. It is so big that it really finds everything. Much faster than a smaller coil on the beach. But in rougher surf it is hard to find the pinpoint, and it has drag in big surf, compared to the stock 8" coil-of course. No other problems, quiet, huge area to find more, easy to pinpoint on sand and fairly easy on calm water, and it does disc real well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread