etrac & finding gold jewelry

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: etrac & finding gold jewelry

Gold rings? The E-Trac does great!

Gold necklace? Not very good at all. The only concillation is that most detectors have a lot of trouble with things like chains, necklaces, and small pendants.

It all has to do with frequency and coil size. The E-Trac is geared towards silver.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

The info that jason gave is pretty much true not only for the etrac, but for most deep-seeker discriminator power-house machines. It's just a natural drawback. You can find coin 2-filter coin machines that will do better with fine chains and earing stud type things, but they won't tackle bad ground as well (and certainly not the wet-salt beach), nor will they go as deep as the Etrac. But for all other gold jewelry (rings, etc...) it's just fine.

Welcome to the forum. I'm 2 hrs. south of SF. What have you found in the back-yards of the victorians there? Have you run into any other explorer users in SF? There's a couple who do ok in the SF parks there (older silver coins, etc...).

OP
OP
F

Faust

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2011
San Francisco
Detector(s) used
E Track, - MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you Jason & Tom.

I have only been detecting for about 6 months with a mxt pro in the parks of SF & Daly City. I have found 9 junk/kids rings, 12 silver rings, one gold ring and alot of outher stafe. I have been detecting a victorian in the mission the last two saturdays and have found nothing but junk sofar. I have two more victorians I can hunt when I find the time.
I have not met no one to hunt with, but its cool I do this for relaxtion.

I am buying a etrac from Mike at Woodland Detectors.

SEmer1969

May 30, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT and Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I'm also here in the Bay Area (work in SSF, live in Vacaville). I've found quite a few silver rings with the E-trac, but to be honest, I've done better on the old gold with my White's MXT Pro and also my Garrett MasterHunter. Love the detector for it's depth (E-trac), but it can be frustrating digging up clad 9 inches down.

I've wondered about the SSF area. Have you guys given this area a try yet?

Stephen

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask crackbadger how it does on gold jewelry at the beach, he loves it. No trouble finding gold.
LOL

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't disc out Pull Tabs and you will find plenty of gold since it is in the same range and even into foil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions