Old blue excalibur coil

ntx4509

Greenie
Nov 2, 2007
Galveston,Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett xl200
Old blue excalibur has cracked coil cable. I am looking to replace coil.I mainly hunt in the surf .I've read some about the SEf coil and Wot .I would like to hear recommendations.
Thanks
Greg
Since I posted this question I have recoated entire cable with heatshrink tubeing again. My first coating attempt I only went as far as the standoff or strain relief at the coil. This is where the latest crack was found. This time I unscrewed the relief recoated the entire cable with heatshrink. The reliefs had to be drilled out a little to be able to slide over thicker cable.
I might allso add that I put entire coil and cable in a warm over for several hours to dry any moisture. I tested the unit in the surf yesterday and it works fine for now.
But I still would like to hear from others that hunt mainly in the surf what is your coil preference. My excal is the old blue 1000. The original 10 inch coil works great but will eventually need replaced.
What do you use in the surf?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have used the SEF 12 x 15" coil on my old blue and green sword model, 1994ish era, and it is great, but in the water, especially the surf, it is hard to swing. Not impossible, but more work. And the larger area makes it harder to pinpoint in surf too. It is great on the wet or dry sand though. In the water or trashy areas I use the stock 8" coil. Many do swear on the WOT, and the 12" Sunray and 12" and 15" SEF in the water, I like a smaller coil in the water. If you do get another coil, I would be interested in buying your old one. PM me. Steve.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt the water with nothing smaller than a 12x15" Sef Buterfly coiil or a WOT coil.....I currently have 2 excals, one has a WOT hard wired on and another has the 12x15" SEF Butterfly coil hardwired on.....I persoanlly like them both the same.... One trip I will use one the nest time I will most likely switch, can say I prefer one over the other, and I have no problem swinging it.... I do us a shoulder harness, I use it on all 5 of my detectors.........

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the 8 - 10 -WOT...If you hunt several places you can't go wrong with having a selection ..but my all around favorite is the 10

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread