SEF coil on Etrac

dwatson4

Sep 8, 2010
West Columbia SC
Detector(s) used
E trac, F75, Garrett Sea hunter II
I recently bought the 18" SEF coil for my Etrac. I was hoping I could get a discussion started on what others have noticed about this coil, Things like the best settings while using it, what applications it is best suited for.

In the short time I have used it I am getting the impression that it is best suited for low trash/low target areas such a farm fields or the beach. It seems difficult to use in areas where multiple targets can be present in an 18 inch area. Especially if targets are at various depths.

Has anyone had good results with this coil? If so,what tips do you have for people just starting with this coil.

Thanks...

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
In the UK and Europe the 15x12 and 12x10 SEF's are king.For trashy areas they'll use the small 8x6 SEF, for the obvious reasons. Your 18" is...as you say, for beach use and large fields without much trash.
My personal opinion is that anything over the 15" is overkill, but that's just me. I'm a "methodical" kind of detectorist and the 15" doesn't fill me with confidence when i use mine, so the 18" is way out of my league. Maybe others like it. :dontknow:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not have a e-trac but a friend i detect with does he has the 18" coil on his the last big field hunt we did he found a lot of good targets with it , the 18" does not miss much he likes to swing it slow , on the other hand i have a 10x12 sef on my DFX that day and i did just as good as he did basically , the SEF is a good coil as far as iam concerned and goes deep . I want to get a 12x15 for my SovGT soon :thumbsup: Jim

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I tested that coil for a few months, and it seemed to operate just fine with the Etrac, but like you mentioned above it was too big to operate in any type of trash situations. I would actually lose depth with that coil. The areas that I felt the coil was useful was trying to locate 1700 homesteads in very large fields just to cover more ground quickly. Once the site was located, I would remove it and go to the 15x12 CoilTek All Terrain coil (Platypus) . In my opinion, that coil is as big as you need to go with that machine to achieve the maximum depth and impressive target separation over the stock pro coil. After I work the site with the 15x12, I will switch coils again to the 10x5 Coiltek Joey. In my opinion, those two aftermarket coils are all you need for the Explorer units. I hope that helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread