Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im real close to getting a sov gt my self. Keep us up dated on how it preforms.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry about not understanding the tones at first as that will come to you with use if you have Iron Mask turned on. Anything that isn't Iron will respond. To really get floored, place a large nail down on clean ground and with Iron Mask on, wave coil over it. Now place gold ring under the nail and do it again.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cdv1 said:
new detector and it might be above 30 degrees Sunday.... all that sounds like I'll test the minelab battery life on my first learning trip with the new detector.

Cliff

Nice post Cliff and congrats! Be sure to post your finds! The Minelab Soverign GT Metal Detector is a great beach machine!

OP
OP
cdv1

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sandman said:
To really get floored, place a large nail down on clean ground and with Iron Mask on, wave coil over it. Now place gold ring under the nail and do it again.

I couldn't wait, I took some finds and some trash down the basement, found a place that didn't have much iron in the concrete and began playing.... cool trick that GT does with the gold and iron! No doubt I would have missed the gold with the Ace 350 or the CZ-21..... but the Sand Shark would have found it..... if I wasn't to tired to dig by then....lol
Can't wait to hunt the white sands of Erie Sunday.... Weatherman says I should have a fresh 6" coat of white over the sand... other than all the clothes I'll have on, I'll be dreaming of Florida.....

Cliff

tiggar

Sep 26, 2011
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
congrats on your new purchase Cliff, now you own the best of the best for the beach....there is nowhere to go up from a Minelab Sovereign GT until Minelab creates a Sovereign GTX....lol

hh

George

OP
OP
cdv1

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
tiggar said:
congrats on your new purchase Cliff, now you own the best of the best for the beach....there is nowhere to go up from a Minelab Sovereign GT until Minelab creates a Sovereign GTX....lol

Yes that Sovereign will find things other's miss......

Well, if that is the case then maybe my first trip should be to that beach I've hit 5 times with two other detectors to see if there is anything else that I missed....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
cdv1 said:
tiggar said:

Yes that Sovereign will find things other's miss......

Well, if that is the case then maybe my first trip should be to that beach I've hit 5 times with two other detectors to see if there is anything else that I missed....
Let us know if it found missed items...............

tiggar

Sep 26, 2011
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
just remember Cliff, with the Sovereign GT it is best to walk slow and swing low & slow. The recovery rate on the GT is slower than your CZ-21 and your Ace. The slower the better & deeper the GT will go...

George

OP
OP
cdv1

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Well, after some practice in the basement (last night), it was off to the lake to try it out on the beach that I was sure had nothing left in the sand. Well, I got hits even had some hits that were hits near nulls.... Darn thing is, I'm to late... the beach is frozen this weekend. I did however get a nice hit near the water that was a high tone (you got to understand, this small beach is clean of good targets now) . I was determined to come home with something so I used my ace hardware digging tool as a hammer and my screwdriver (I was somewhat ready for bad conditions) and chiseled two zinc pennies out of the frozen sand....

Not sure now what to do tomorrow, I really want to hunt... maybe I'll take a propane torch to melt the sand at my targets. :laughing7:

This detector will definately have a larger learning curve than the Sand Shark and the CZ-21..... Hope I figure it out before the Florida trip in March.

Cliff

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i have been useing a Sovereign since 1992... And every time i hear about it's learning curve..... I always wonder "what" learning curve .... Very easy detector to use....... Could be i have been useing the Sovereign to long and it is so darn easy for me........ To me it it is turn on and set my threshold and hunt....

rick5224

Tenderfoot
Dec 1, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my new sov-gt to the beach hear in SC. for the first time saturday had it in the bag around my neck,and the 12x15 sef coil on it ran the sen.at around 12 oclock to get a smooth thres. found 2 dimes really deep. I only found 9 dimes 1 quarter 1 nickel 9 penn. in clad,and a few pulltabs bottle tops and junk ear ring,not very much for 5 hours my last trip to this beach last month with the at-pro I got $6.30 in clad and .925 toe ring but I still had fun on a chilly day at the beach.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
rick5224 said:
I took my new sov-gt to the beach hear in SC. for the first time saturday had it in the bag around my neck,and the 12x15 sef coil on it ran the sen.at around 12 oclock to get a smooth thres. found 2 dimes really deep. I only found 9 dimes 1 quarter 1 nickel 9 penn. in clad,and a few pulltabs bottle tops and junk ear ring,not very much for 5 hours my last trip to this beach last month with the at-pro I got $6.30 in clad and .925 toe ring but I still had fun on a chilly day at the beach.
Are you saying that your AT Pro is better at the beach than your Sovereign ?

rick5224

Tenderfoot
Dec 1, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO,Keppy I just had a bad day at the beach I liked the way it worked on the beach I just did not have many targets lots of sand moved around since last hunt.

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a very small learning curve if you ask me. The biggest thing I have problems with is self control on hunting slow. The tones are easy for me. I bought my GT used so I had Joe Patrick's meter mod installed. I really don't worry about trying to distinguish every tone. I know nulls, low, medium, and high tones. I let the meter handle it from there. I've been using the Sovereign for a few years now and it still surprises me with it's performance.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
goodmore said:
There is a very small learning curve if you ask me. The biggest thing I have problems with is self control on hunting slow. The tones are easy for me. I bought my GT used so I had Joe Patrick's meter mod installed. I really don't worry about trying to distinguish every tone. I know nulls, low, medium, and high tones. I let the meter handle it from there. I've been using the Sovereign for a few years now and it still surprises me with it's performance.
That is what i have always said with the Sovereign.......... A very small learning curve........... Then i hear about the big learning curve on the sovereign.......... WHAT learning curve almoat turn and hunt............

Rob in (ca)

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep sand out of the coil cover it will make the gt go nuts and you will think the GT is broken ??? If your not hunting near rock or reefs, just leave the coil cover at home. also Get a good sand scoop as you will need it.

good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread