Explorer SE Pro Falsing?

samuel_schumaker

Jan 15, 2008
Holton, Ks
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro w/ Sunray, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Ok, i am startin to get some hours on my explorer and am trying to learn it the best i can. Quick question, in my yard which i belive is pretty trashy, i seem to get a lot of one hit signals that wont repeat on the sweep back and sometimes dont end up repeating at all. Sometimes i can get them to hit from one way and then i will turn 90 degrees and they may hit from one way or not at all. Is this mostly caused by rusty iron falsing the processor so its analyzing it and deciding that its not a good target? I was running mostly in the factory preset program but have started to use iron mask set around 22. Obviously more signals get thru with this setting but it seems like in my yard i will get say 1 out of 15 signals that actually repeat with every sweep. So, is that a lot of falsing or is that just the way the discriminators work on these detectors? And yes i swing slow. i just wanna make sure my detector isnt broken. When i do get on a target wether its a pulltab or a coin it repeats nice and crisp. I also understand there could be a piece of trash next to a good target causing it to act this way. Any suggestions?

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
What coil do you use? Pro or slim? and what sensitivity? if you want you can reach me on Skype stasysba.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is your sensitivity set at? What machine say it needs to be at? Have you tried hunting at another location with same results? Might be EMI.

arapahoscout

Sep 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best results have been to lower the sensitivity to a range that will give hardly an falses and still have a good depth (usually 15-20 depending on ground mineralization) then I set it on automatic sensitivity and bump it back up about 3 nothces. Lower the Gain 2 places lower than what the factory setting is (thinking factory is 6 or 8 but I am not with my machine right now) I would not turn it down too far as you will miss smaller items. This lets you get a variable volume/pitch response instead of every flake of rust sounding like a aluminum can with a loud and clear response. Always run the Noise Cancel when you start and every 30 minutes or so while using it, more often if there are power lines or cell towers nearby. Then if you change ground conditions, say from black dirt to clay or sand, mess with the sens. agian and re noise cancel.

With settings like this, you should be able to learn the sounds much easier. The Explorer SE Pro is an awesome machine and will definately give alot of sounds to sort through, but it will also find stuff the other machines will miss. Good luck and feel free to send me a PM if you have any other questions direclty to me, I don't check back here that often.

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It sounds normal to me. I hunt at 32 manual sensitivity and it does false alot; these machines are very sensitive. Train yourself to ignore the falses. It will take time but it is possible. The initial response from the machine is not always what the target(s) below your coil end up sounding like once the machine processes a couple more sweeps. Try slowing your sweep speed and don't bump your coil into anything; less falsing.

On the other hand, if you are in a trashy area, or the ground is highly mineralized(or both), then that's a different story... especially with the stock coil.

Also, no matter what you hear, more sensitivity = increased depth. If you are running manual sensitivity 25 or below, you ARE missing those deep targets.

GL & HH

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used a EXP II for years. Sometimes you just have to set the sensitivity lower or live with the falsing. Some fields are worse than others.
Larger coils are worse. You don,t loose as much depth as you would think when you turn down the sensitivty 5 to 10 points. You can try running noise cancel. If you are using a coil cover be sure to clean/empty it. Often if your in sandy soil or on the beach.

All this is just about what everyone else was saying here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread