davidplev

Sep 3, 2008
lebanon, pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, whites classic id, exterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hiyall
i have been using the 305 for over a year now. im pretty acurrate with geting clad coins and silver coins and knowing what number they fall under on my screen. my question is, when i do find gold items (very seldom) i can not determin what number the screen says cause it jumps around. i understand that it would be close to what a pull tab is. I always hunt under all metal mode and dont discriminate at all, i just dont want to pass any gold up... any help would greatly be appreciated.

DirtAngler

Jun 18, 2011
SE Pa
Detector(s) used
MX5, M6, GPP, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave,
Be advised, gold can and will come in as a lot of different numbers. You are right, it does come in same as nickels and pull tabs but it also can come in as foil and some have said they've seen it in the iron range too. I never personally had any in the iron range, but my wife's ring comes in as foil, mine as nickel/pulltab, the 2 rings I've found came in as 13 and 28 on the Xterra. My thoughts are if looking for jewelry, dig anything above iron. JMHO.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DirtAngler said:
Dave,
Be advised, gold can and will come in as a lot of different numbers. You are right, it does come in same as nickels and pull tabs but it also can come in as foil and some have said they've seen it in the iron range too. I never personally had any in the iron range, but my wife's ring comes in as foil, mine as nickel/pulltab, the 2 rings I've found came in as 13 and 28 on the Xterra. My thoughts are if looking for jewelry, dig anything above iron. JMHO.

Great reply! Spot on!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"I always hunt under all metal mode and dont discriminate at all, i just dont want to pass any gold up"

You are doing everything right. Don't rely on the numbers so much as the tones. The 305 is a great machine, and I have seen gold dug by others using them. Keep practicing, and digging all those mid tones. You'll be successful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions