New E-Trac Arrived Today! A Bit Confused...

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, after MUCH RESEARCH and TONS of YouTube videos watched, my new E-Trac arrived today and I took it out for a couple hours (got a late start today after other things that needed done first, besides it being cold), and wow is it something to adjust to after a beep & dig! I can tell how extremely sensitive it is, but this will take some time. Other than setting up a test garden for practice, does anyone have any suggestions? Just curious....Thank you!

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swing slow and low. I drag min acrossed the ground. I have only hunted with it 5 times and have had great success. I also cheated a little bit and downloaded some other people's modes and patterns off the web. If you want to know where you can nab these patterns send me a PM. All I have to do really is adjust volume gain depending on ground dampness and deep recovery on and off depending on trash density. I also have some beginner movies I watched before even taking out for the first time. You don't need a test garden. I thought the same thing. I had a hard time trusting my machine at first. Then I started yanking coin after coin out of the ground and realized that the machine knew what it was doing. Also quick mask is your friend. If you have a high pitched chirp and you turn on your quick mask and it bounces deep into the FE20-30 range odds are it is a nail falsing a slight bit. Before I started trusting my machine I was digging these "iffy" signals only to find it knew what it was doing!!! Turning 90 degrees can help too! If you have a slight chirp and it sounds like two targets turn 90 and see if your DD coil can see the targets better from that way. Good luck and if you want to see my finds I can pm you a link too! Seriousely I have only been on 5 hunts 3 in new territory.

Noel

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the E-trac.. At first ,, Just use the factory settings and start remembering numbers :laughing7:
I Send ya a pm

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly, there isn't much else except to use it and get used to it. Yes, it can be a big learning curve if your last detector was very different. Don't let yourself go back to the other detector. Keep using the E-Trac and it start to click for you.

Sending you a pm.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Otravez, Extractor, & Jason: thank you all for the responses. I wouldn't consider going back to the old detector or getting rid of the Etrac. My gosh it's so stable and sensitive!!! All PM's are welcome any time!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the E-Trac! Stay in coins mode and listen for repeatable hits. Listen listen listen... Slow way down as was said.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bart@Big Boys Hobbies said:
Congrats on the E-Trac! Stay in coins mode and listen for repeatable hits. Listen listen listen... Slow way down as was said.

I'll do just that Bart, thank you.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Be careful in the factory coin mode. Sometimes it blocks out morgan dollars and sterling rings. Be sure to air test different things to hear the signal.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
testing123 said:
Be careful in the factory coin mode. Sometimes it blocks out morgan dollars and sterling rings. Be sure to air test different things to hear the signal.

Thank you. I'm getting a better feel of it and beginning to be more confident of what it's telling me. I'm running the Andy S coin shooter program with the right hand vertical bar white. Still getting used to trying to tell the difference between the way iron can have a lower Fe "outside edge" to it versus a coin laying close to it....the sensitivity and stability is awesome. It's like using a "dirt scalpel."

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all so much for your help! The last couple of times I've taken it out, things have started to hit home with the way Etrac sings/speaks to me. It's just so advanced it takes a bit of time to get to know what it's telling me. Today I found my first silver ever! A 1944 Mercury dime, two wheats, a 1941 Canadian penny, a 1996 Mexican 50¢ piece, and numerous clad. Thank you to all of you for your help in getting me started with the new Etrac!!! Still have a ton of learning, but at least my proverbial feet are wet! :thumbsup:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
okdiggermark said:
Thank you all so much for your help! The last couple of times I've taken it out, things have started to hit home with the way Etrac sings/speaks to me. It's just so advanced it takes a bit of time to get to know what it's telling me. Today I found my first silver ever! A 1944 Mercury dime, two wheats, a 1941 Canadian penny, a 1996 Mexican 50¢ piece, and numerous clad. Thank you to all of you for your help in getting me started with the new Etrac!!! Still have a ton of learning, but at least my proverbial feet are wet! :thumbsup:
Congrats on the silver! You'll find a ton more I assure you. I can honestly help you better understand your machine if you call. I don't mind helping you set up. The reason I say this, is because my Etrac was one of the very fist machines off the line, and I had no idea how to run it, and neither did anyone else really. (talk about frustrating) So I vowed to help the new users understand their machines without the frustration. So, don't hesitate to call for help.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats again on the first silver! I can't believe you pulled from THAT park. Good job my friend, it sounds like you are learning your detector pretty fast.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AA Woodland Detectors said:
okdiggermark said:
Congrats on the silver! You'll find a ton more I assure you. I can honestly help you better understand your machine if you call. I don't mind helping you set up. The reason I say this, is because my Etrac was one of the very fist machines off the line, and I had no idea how to run it, and neither did anyone else really. (talk about frustrating) So I vowed to help the new users understand their machines without the frustration. So, don't hesitate to call for help.

That's very kind of you! Thank you, and I just might do that. Have a wonderful day, & HH!

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jason in Enid said:
Congrats again on the first silver! I can't believe you pulled from THAT park. Good job my friend, it sounds like you are learning your detector pretty fast.

Thanks Jason, what makes you so surprised about that specific park? Curious....

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned the most about my Etrac by setting it to the Minelab Coin program. Going to a sandy area or beach, with lots of traffic, and digging everything. You should quickly start to tell what the signals and number are. I like to try to guess the find. When you start getting a lot more right than wrong your on your way. Read everything you can and watch videos, check out the Minelab link here on TNET, become a member on Minelabowners.com , join a club.

Try everything you see, somethings you will like some you won,t. You will eventually develop your own style.

Ed D.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Born2Dtect said:
I learned the most about my Etrac by setting it to the Minelab Coin program. Going to a sandy area or beach, with lots of traffic, and digging everything. You should quickly start to tell what the signals and number are. I like to try to guess the find. When you start getting a lot more right than wrong your on your way. Read everything you can and watch videos, check out the Minelab link here on TNET, become a member on Minelabowners.com , join a club.

Try everything you see, somethings you will like some you won,t. You will eventually develop your own style.

Ed D.

Thanks Ed, appreciate it!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okdiggermark said:
Jason in Enid said:

Because that is the park EVERYONE hunts. It sits on the main highway road through town, everyone sees it. Anyone who has lived here for more than a couple years knows the history of it. It's probably been hunted more than all the other parks combined. Yours may be the first E-Trac in it though, because I have never taken mine there.

I'm normally off hunting private yards and ghost towns, pulling piles of trash and no coins! So congrats on the 3 old finds from GS!

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jason in Enid said:
okdiggermark said:
Jason in Enid said:

Because that is the park EVERYONE hunts. It sits on the main highway road through town, everyone sees it. Anyone who has lived here for more than a couple years knows the history of it. It's probably been hunted more than all the other parks combined. Yours may be the first E-Trac in it though, because I have never taken mine there.

I'm normally off hunting private yards and ghost towns, pulling piles of trash and no coins! So congrats on the 3 old finds from GS!

Thanks again. That makes me feel good. It's a very capable detector for sure!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Feel like you got a handle on it yet? Its really VERY easy once it all clicks. Made any hunts lately?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread