CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got my new Safari a few days ago. Liking this detector a lots already. But can someone please point me to a numbers chart for the Safaris ID numbers? Also have been reading some old post and they say nothing good is ever 40, did an air test on my pals supposed to be white gold ring and it reads 40?!? Maybe there are some good things that read 40 after all :headbang:! Would like to know the ID #s for U.S. gold coins of 1, 2.5 and 5 dollar denominations please.

TIA
CARM

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detectors only measure the conductivity of the item and since gold rings and coins are alloyed with various other metals of different conductivities the numbers of targets can be all over the place. Even the numbers on the same target and two detectors of the same brand and model can be different. 90% of the gold rings will ring up in the pull tab range and some in foil or even Iron.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While learning the machine ignore the #'s and listen to th tones. You will become a much better detectorist faster!

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm learning on my safari as well, but on a good note I had a explorer xs, so I'm kind of in tune, so to speak, tone ID is a key factor. HH Eric

issombeituni

May 26, 2013
Silver

Attachments

• image-839386424.jpg
    image-839386424.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 299

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolute Truth #1: learn the tones and stop watching the #s.

That said, I understand that someone new to the Safari just simply isn't going to do that so here's what I advise.
While learning the tones, block out everything except currently circulating coins and silver(open = 14,15,32 thru 39, 40 optional). When you are confident with that, then open up the gold ranges narrowly(6 thru 9 for small gold) and then open up the rest (except the negatives). THEN, go back over everything you have hunted and scarf up what you missed. If you want to ignore zincs, also block out 32, 33.

Please believe this: the numbers fluctuate as soil conditions change. Even for the same coin in the same orientation. Maybe not much, and maybe not at all every day, but soil moisture makes a difference in how any metal detector sees the target.

But again, the most important thing is to Learn The Tones and try to ignore the #s. The only thing I use the screen for is to get an approximation of target depth.

(note I have never found anything except rusty steel at 40, but theres proof above that good things can happen there. but I still don't ever leave it open)

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, post #8 was the lecture that we all have to give you. This post is to answer (some) of your actual question.

Realizing that the numbers can slide a digit or 2 either way, this is what I have seen:

6-9 = small gold like ladies rings/earrings (reportedly, I have never found any)
14, occasionally 15 = nickels, including war nickels
32-34 = zinc pennies
34-36 = copper pennies
37 = dimes
38 = quarters
39 = all silver of any way shape or form
negatives and 40 = iron

I have no idea about gold coins past what I have read (I highly recommend Andy Sabich's book). I've never found one.
I find lots of interesting 'stuff' (medallions, brass, etc) in the low 30's.
Don't rely toooooo heavily on air tests.
Remember that the gold you are hunting is usually an alloy, with copper being a common ingredient.
Variable tones usually mean variable shape and odds are (depending on where you are) that's its can slaw.

edited to add: if you are beach hunting, Dig Everything.

Last edited:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't always beleave the numbers. Ive dug silver than rang in at 36 37. I've dug Indain heads between 31-35 and nickels from 12-15. Listen to the machine like everyone else said. Dig all repeatable signals. That's how I learned my safari.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't always beleave the numbers. Ive dug silver than rang in at 36 37. I've dug Indain heads between 31-35 and nickels from 12-15. Listen to the machine like everyone else said. Dig all repeatable signals. That's how I learned my safari.

Agreed!

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Detroit Digger - Do you like the Safari as good as you like the Explorer XS? I'm about to get a ML Safari and my uncle which has the Explorer II is giving me crap over it. Lol. I should add he loves Minelab but is not familiar with the Safari. :tongue3: As far as I've understood reading about the comparison, they are very similar technology

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detroit Digger - Do you like the Safari as good as you like the Explorer XS? I'm about to get a ML Safari and my uncle which has the Explorer II is giving me crap over it. Lol. I should add he loves Minelab but is not familiar with the Safari. :tongue3: As far as I've understood reading about the comparison, they are very similar technology
The technology is FBS, and is identical.
The difference is in the user configurable/adjustable-vs-Auto/Fixed features, and the information delivered to the operator.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread